The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mbphotos54

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Smile Spring is Here! Video

Video I took yesterday at Otter Creek. the park stocked a few days before. needless to say fishing was good!
Mike
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring is Here! Video

Mike: Very nice work on the video and the fishing, congrats!

Larry
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

thanks once the water cleans up itll be alot more fun doign underwater shots.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Pretty neat Mike,

Something I notice though; you need to get into the habit of getting fish on the reel asap. I say this because if you make hand hauling them in your method of bringing them in, someday you're gonna get into a big fish that will make a real mess of things when it tears back and forth and then jumps while in your fly line.

I believe everyone has done this when they first started fly fishing so you are normal. What you gain by putting them on the reel right away is that when a strong one runs on you you can use the drag on that Allen reel to control the action. I've seen fish go off on a tear and while the line came off the water it formed a bird nest that hit the stripping guide and you know how that turned out. No matter whether you fish a spring & pawl Featherweight or a big disc drag, playing fish off the reel is way cooler than the hand retrieve business. It'll make for a more polished video and you'll like the "I'm very cool' feeling that you'll have too.

The more you practice on all those fish the faster you'll become, I can darn near keep up with a silver when they come right at me no matter which reel I'm cranking and so will you soon. Go get em buddy,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 PM

thanks Ard, I have been trying to get them on the reel more it just didnt work out with these fish. If i go the reel right at the strike I wont be to bad, I try to manage it on my strips so that if i get a hit I can get line in. heck I think Im doing good for only doing the fly fishing stuff since last June. I want to try a backpack camera mount to put the camera up over my non casting side. should be neat.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Please don't take anything I may say as criticism, I mean well and am just sharing advice I've learned all the mistakes by making them myself and so try to help others sidestep them. You're doing great,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Please don't take anything I may say as criticism, I mean well and am just sharing advice I've learned all the mistakes by making them myself and so try to help others sidestep them. You're doing great,

Ard
I take in all advice given from someone as known on here as you, so keep it up. thanks again.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Very nice work on the video. Thank you for sharing
Old 03-23-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
Very nice work on the video. Thank you for sharing
thank you
mike