The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ice off, made it out.

Well the ice has gone off the river. This is really early for here. I made it out on the river fishing. It was below freezing in the morning. It got up in the high 60's by afternoon. Started off dressed like Nannook of the North and end up like Tony Bahama. (Except for the neoprenes) I don't think the big Pike have started to run. It would be record early if they did. I did catch a bunch of little ones. The biggest was maybe 26 or 28 inches. I took the 15' Meiser. It was a blast. It felt good to get out and cast even if I didn't clobber 'em.

They finally got around to scheduling my pre back surgery consultation for the 28th. I can tell already, they are going to screw up my Spring fishing. On the bright side, I have a bunch of rods I want to build. I should have the time to do that anyway.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ice off, made it out.

Any day out on the water is a good day.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

And best of luck with the surgery! I had L5/S1 disk removed in late '84 and wast trouble free until 2010. Twisted it bad in 2010 doing some ladder work (it's no wonder I was an rescue & engine guy all these years - can't stand ladder work!). Anyway, a couple of weeks of rest and a cortisone shot, and the back's been trouble free since....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

Sorry to hear about the back and good luck with the operation.

I have been down for the last two weeks once more after injuring mine yet again trying to move something too heavy for me in a stupid manner. Now I am behind on work again with the busy season coming up quicker than normal.

Trouble with "a man has to know his limitations" is that, at some point, that level starts dropping faster than his brain can keep up with (or even accept).
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM

attila will become famous soon enough

Glad you had a good day on the water. Good luck with your surgery.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Good to see you getting out and getting a line wet! Temps here in Longmont, Co are very warm also. The last couple of days it has been hitting 70 degrees. I took the 4 yr old grandson out yesterday for some smallmouth bass fishing and had a blast. Best of luck with the back surgery!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

It is good to see that you are still able to make it out. I was wondering if your back would give you trouble casting or not.
Yelps here gave been unseasonably warm too. Last weekend through most of this past week it was in the mid 80s. thank goodness the humidity has stayed somewhat low.
If spring is this warm I hate to see what summers going to be like.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

All the best with the back Dan. Good to hear you got out. They always seem to setup these things at the best fishing times. Hopefully you will have a fast recovery and get out there.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice to hear that fishing is returning for some of the more northern folks, and love the Nanook of the North reference. Good luck with the back surgery, hope you don't miss out on too much fishing!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Nanook, just keep away from the yellow snow.
After your surgery, don't jump the gun, just get well and heal up completly.
Good luck bud.