The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Cabela's CGR

Today I picked up the 466-3 CGR to chase the pan fish at the local pond, which turned out to be a blast. I used a 5wt WF line since it was all I had, and the rod seemed to handle it just fine, but I'm thinking a 4wt might be better, this is my first glass rod, so if you have any recommendations on line I would greatly appreciate it. This pond is also stocked with rainbows and the odd catfish, the chances of catching a rainbow over 18" is very likely. I also fish the North Platte below Keystone Dam and the NPPD Canal which the chances of catching a 26"+ bow isn't unheard of. What should this rod be able to handle? Even a medium size Bluegill will put a nice bend in this rod. It is a completely different beast than than 5wt ZAxis that I use most of the time.

Thanks, Chase.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cabela's CGR

I cannot comment on the rod you have, but I can comment that glass rods are very resilient. You should be able to land an 18" fish with it. You may have to play the fish out a bit longer. 26" can probably be done, but that will be pushing the limits of the rod and the fisherman.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I don't have any experience with that rod either, but I find most glass rods are pretty forgiving of being underlined or overlined one line size.
Just a matter of adjusting the timing of the cast. (slow, slower, or crawling)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

If there are bass in the waters you fish, a 5 weight would be a better overall size IMO
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

what should a rod be able to handle? That is an excellent question and one I ask myself occasionally. I think that you can land a lot of fish on a small rod, however, you would have to wear out the big ones in order to land them on the lighter rods. If you fish C&R, then you don't want to use light rods for bigger fish. If you keep them to cook, then theroretically you could. Would there be a fish you could not land on a 3 wt, of course there is, but I am thinking it would have to be a pretty good sized fish.

I think the size of the fish you can catch and land on a rod is more dependent on the size of the tippet, how much drag you have set on the reel, and how much line is in the water (line in water adding friction when the fish turns, runs, etc which could cause the tippet to break)).

So, my question, relating to yours is, just exactly what is that number?

For an average 3 wt - what is the breaking strength of the rod? I am guessing, assuming you are handling the rod correctly and not putting a 180 degree bend in it, using side pressure, etc, that the number is 5 or 6 lbs, which I would consider a nice sized trout or bass. you also have to consider how much force a 5 or 6 lb fish can put on a rod while swimming - i.e. does a 5 lb fish put 5 lbs of pressure on a fly rod while swimming?

I saw a video once where Tim Rajeff put like 6 lbs of straight up pull on a 3 wt before it snapped - he was bending the rod at 180 degrees and pulling straight up on it.

So, if I'm correct, you can probably use your 3 weight in the water you describe - again, this is assuming you don't care if you tire the fish out or not, because with a lighter rod, you are going to have to play him longer and (from what I have read and understand) the longer you play him, the more he wears out and sucks in bad stuff (lactate and etc), and the less likely he will survive if released.

So the question on how big a fish you can catch will have a different answer then how big a fish you "should" catch on a 3wt if you are planning on releasing the fish.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.