The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tippet to Leader Knots ?

Thanks I'll give that a look.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
In the Summer 2010 Issue of Flyfishing and Tying Journal (pgs. 38-40), Dave Whitlock presented an article titled "ONE KNOT"...for all your fly line connections. That knot was the Uni-Knot...

Double Uni Knot - Instructions

I have been using it for about 27 years and have never looked back...About eight years ago I also started using these for my leader to tippet connection, mono and flurocarbon:

Click the image to open in full size.

I save a lot of money on leaders...

PT/TB
Thats a great video and great knot!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

We tie that knot (only with two wraps each side, rather than five, end-to-end in 7.0, 7.5, 8.0. and/or 9.0 mm static kernmantle cord in 44" and 56" lengths, to make double prusiks for grabbing 1/2" rescue rope. Even in rope rescue that knot is called a double fisherman. Double Fisherman's Knot | How to tie a Double Fisherman's Bend (Grapevine Knot) | Rescue Knots

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I'll toss in my 2 cents- I know loads of people get very particular about things such as this. Sometimes I think the rituals we go through have more to do with appeasing the fish gods that actually making a gigantic difference.

In my 20+ I have decided on a couple things- One is I tie my own leaders with Maxima, each section with a blood knot. Mind you I have no real formula, just taper it down with perhaps a tad longer butt sections for heavier weight rods and a more even taper on light weight rods.

The tippet is set up in a loop to loop, I make the leader end loop with a perfection loop and the tippet loop on 4X or lighter is made with a figure eight knot. My knot choices are this way because I find a figure eight on light tippet to be a stronger knot that a perfection loop. Heavier material and the knot doesn't seem to matter.

There is a million different ways and they will all work-
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Blood knots are probably the best, but for quick and easy on the stream I like the triple surgeons knot, very simple especially with my aging eyes.
+1
Also try furled leaders with a ring. Good leader performance and generally only two knots away from a repaired leader.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Russell,

Where you been?

attila, I blood knot everything even the tippet. I don't change flies often so I don't worry about changing tippets.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I do loop-to-loop connections with a double surgeon's knot. Otherwise, I just use tippet rings and connect both sections with an Orvis knot.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Rivers and furled leaders w/tippet ring, clinch knots work and have plenty of strength. On stillwater, I use the loop to loop. Straight leader with a perfection loop on the leader to main line.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Loop to loop fly line to leader (perfection knots on both sides or existing loops on lines and furled leaders), triple surgeons knot leader to tippet. On furled leaders with a tippet ring, I tie the tippet on with a uni-knot.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I use a Fast-tye tool and do back to back nail knots. that tool makes these so easy and I rarely have any issues. Its not something that I think would be a good thing to try without the tool though. makes a nice tiny and smooth knot that has both ends coming out nice and straight.