The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Campsite Question

Ok, I have what may be a stupid question, but I have been told that the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. I have a new truck and cap and will be trying out truck camping for the first time this summer (in a few weeks actually). I have been looking for campsites and realized I don't know the proper protocall. If I am truck camping/sleeping in the back of my truck am I looking to get a tent site or do I have to get an RV site? I'm assuming a tent site, but want to make sure.

Also, for those of you that camp, can you recommend some good resources/websites that I can use to find suitable campgrounds/sites. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Campsite Question

I'd expect you could get a tent site. Most campgrounds have parking spaces right at the sites so your truck would be parked right at the site. If you want electric & water at your site, you'd have to get a camper site. Check pricing, though. Some campgrounds don't charge much more for those sites as opposed to tent sites. Woodhall and Trailer Life have guide books with very complete listings covering the entire US. There are also state campground associations that put out books listing member campgrounds. You could google that to find those.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I vote tent site, and as has been said checking both state and federal websites for camp grounds near the water will be a help. We just stayed at Hidden Lake camp ground, a federal parks site on the Kenai River and it was 10 dollars per night and perfect. I've stayed at state ran and federally ran campsites in 46 states and 9 Provinces of Canada and almost all were affordable and nice spots.

Keep us updated,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Aaaaa, car camping. All the comforts of home you don't have to carry in your back pack.

Dining fly over the picnic table, folding chairs, camp stove, big ice chest full of goodies, and a fully stocked "chuck box".
That's the life.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

You should get a tent site. I use Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica to find a lot of my campsites and make reservations when going to an actual campground.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Go to Google Maps and type in: campground. If you zoom in to the area you are interested in even more campgrounds pop up.

Unless you need electricity, water or latrine hook ups - Or if your truck is 40 feet long - then a tent site should do I would imagine.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach