The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 PM

mahimahi is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing For Pan Fish

Hi I just registered - looks like a great forum.

Forgive if this been posted before, but looking for any recommendations on fly fishing gear - rod, reel, line size/type for pan fishing, especially crappie.

Regards
Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing For Pan Fish

I fly-fish for bluegills a LOT at Canyon Lake here in Arizona- it may be the most fun you can have fly fishing (I love trout fishing, but still...) I use the following and think each piece is high quality, especially for the price-

TFO Finesse 7'3" 2wt
Cabela's Prestige Premiere Reel (on sale, drag made by Lamson)
RIO LT 2 wt WF fly line
Bluegills love to eat mini-hoppers, phesant tail nymphs, and many other flies.

I catch the occasional crappie there too and it works well. I love the light fly rod, it is a hoot to fish with.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fly Fishing For Pan Fish

Cabela's has some great (and I do mean they are really quite good) 'All in ones' that are rod, reel, line, leader ... string together and add fly/popper. And cheap as chips.

When I lived in Ashland (Oregon) we had a huge lake 5 minutes away and would take the Doggies down for their daily walk/sniff about (weather permitting) and (in my case) the 3wt went with me.

Pooches did their thing and I did mine. Total Treat of a way to spend a couple of hours.

Fred
Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, You can't go wrong with one of the Cabela's outfits, and I bet that they have some on sale now too.

What I use for pan fish is one of my many old (and mostly cheap) fiberglass rods. I just pick one and go.
I'm talking the kind of rod that you'd find at a yard sale.
Pan fishin' is just for fun, no sense in getting too technical about it.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:41 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Cabela's sells some decent outfits but I prefer other companies.... Still, I've had a few cabelas outfits, and you can't go wrong, especially on sale. Check these out:
Cabela's: Fly-Fishing Rod & Reel Combos

Don't go for the cheap combo (Cahill) they are junk. The RLS combo is pretty nice though.
Cabela's: Cabela's RLS Fly Outfits

I HIGHLY recommend any one of these:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...&WTz_stype=GNU

This place also has some nice TFO rods on clearance at bargain prices. For panfish, stay with somethiong in the 3-5 wt range. I prefer a 2wt.
http://www.thelowerforty.com/sale_items/sale.htm

And this
http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4
Old 03-24-2012, 01:56 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
I fly-fish for bluegills a LOT at Canyon Lake here in Arizona- it may be the most fun you can have fly fishing (I love trout fishing, but still...)
sniper I have never been to this lake. What is required to get around in, a boat, pontoon or float tube ? thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ive been having a lot of fun on my little eagle claw featherlight glass rod with a 1492 medalist on it and dt3 fly line.
topwater poppers and spiders for gills and small clousers for crappie.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
rod, reel, line size/type for pan fishing, especially crappie
What kind of conditions you'll be fishing in will play a part in rod/line selection.
I love my 6'6" 3wt glass rod for 'gills & crappie, but I've found it is a poor selection for windy conditions.
If the wind is a factor (and it usually is this time of year here in southern Ohio) I'll go to a longer 4 or 5wt rod depending on the severity of the wind.

For panfish reel quality isn't a big issue for me. Most of the time it's simply a place to store line. I keep the drag set only tight enough to prevent spool overrun.

My panfish rods are relatively inexpensive outfits, and I've never had any major failures with any of them.

*6'6" 3wt glass (custom built on 2 pc Lamiglas blank) w/Okuma SLV 2/3 reel & wf3f line
*Ross Essence FS 8'6" 4 pc rod w/Ross Flystart reel & wf3f or wf4f line.
*Echo Solo 8'6" 4wt 3 pc rod w/Echo Solo 4/5 reel & wf4f or wf5f line.
*Riverbeast 8'6" 5wt 3 pc rod w/Okuma Magnitude 7/8 reel (these reels are very lightweight but hold very little backing with the rated size lines) & wf5f line).
*Eagle Claw 6'6" featherlite (2 pc fiberglass) rod w/Okuma SLV 4/5 reel (this rod will handle a wf3f, wf4f, or wf5f line, but I usually stick with a wf4f)
*Scientific Anglers 8'6" 2 pc rod w/Pflueger 1495 reel & wf5f line.
*and if I really feel adventurous I'll grab my split cane (Custom "vintage Sport King" rebuild by Beck) 5/6wt 3 pc rod w/Pflueger 1459½ reel & wf5f or wf6f line.

Nothing like having a few choices to fit the mood of the day.

Today it was the Echo Solo with a wf5f line (fighting a brisk headwind) and I managed to catch 5 or 6 'gills, 3 or 4 crappie, and one stocked rainbow about 12" long. About an hour of fighting that wind was all the fun I could stand for one day.
Tomorrow's plan is for the 6'6" 3 wt custom glass rod and find a location with the wind at my back.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I've been using and Eagle Claw 8'6" Black Eagle 5 weight and a Caddis Creek reel with L6F on it. Been casting 1/120th clousers. Some beneathe a tiny float. Catching big crappie and a few bass on it. Love it!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Cool Re: Fly Fishing For Pan Fish

Conditions dictate a lot of what we choose in a panfish rod as most rods will work but lighter is more fun in the end, if possible. Wind says go bigger, perhaps up to a five weight, no wind, go down. Open lakes, ponds and rivers say longer is better and even on a tiny creek, I like long as it gives reach. Reach across lily pads, across a patch of cattails, etc and often you'll find the biggest gills lying just on the outside there. For that reason I prefer a nine ft rod, and am considering a ten or even an 11 footer. For most of my panfishing I prefer a 3 weight so my first choice would be a nine foot three weight rod with a very light reel and matched line.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/