The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 09:10 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road
Default Wader/ duffle Bag Suggestions

I have been using a piece of luggage I purchased at the Goodwill for my traveling wader bag. Well the bag has seen better days now and I would like to invest in a real wader bag. I have several bags in mind, but I would like to send the question out to the forum to get more feedback. The bag needs to be able to handle the rigors and abuses of check in air travel. Also, I need to be able to fit two pairs of breathable waders and boots. Lastly I would like to be able to hose the bag out after use.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wader/ duffle Bag Suggestions

What I use definitely doesn't meet your needs for air travel, but I find a tough mesh laundry bag to work very well for car based trips. It helps to keep waders, belt, boots, and gravel guards together, and allows them to breathe while in the bag. I've also found that the the big blue bags IKEA sells cheap work pretty well for waders and well-squashed float tubes also.

The two duffels on here would likely meet your needs well though: Patagonia Web Specials: Discounts on Top Quality Travel Gear

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi hardhat,

I was just looking at bags last night. I like Fishpond Yellowstone wader bag. The bottom compartment is a little taller than some of the other bags. Cost $129. Also look at the Fishpond Cimmaron at $159. I like the clam shell design of Fishpond bags.

Another choice is the Willam Joseph wader bag. It has a molded base that you could probably wash out. It is a big bag with lots of room. Cost $159

Keep in mind that I have not used any of these bags.

Frank

Fishpond Yellowstone Wader Bag 25"L X 17"W X 16"H
Click the image to open in full size.

Fishpond Cimmaron Wader Bag 24.5" X 15.5" X 18"

William Joseph Wader Bag 30" X 18" X 18"
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Ck. out one of those nylon pet carriers. I've been using one for years & it's been all over the USA as ck'd baggage. Mine even folds flat when you get to your destination. It's well ventilated to dry the waders & boots & hoses out when it gets too dirty.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FISHN50,

Is this the style of bag you are talking about?

Frank

Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road
Re: Wader/ duffle Bag Suggestions

This forum is the greatest!!! Thank you so much for the great ideas. Now my wife gets to drag me thru IKEA, so she will be happy. I looked at the fishpond bags on line. They are very nice looking. They say that they give a lifetime warranty their products. I should not have to worry it if something bad does happen. Lastly, I would have never come up with using a dog carrier for a wader bag. Thanks again
Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Hi hardhat,

Here is one more from Sage at a better price. $100

Frank

Sage Wader and Duffel Bag 24" x 16" x 14".
Old 10-01-2007, 07:18 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Hardhat... A simple "plastic" base camp camp duffle bag works great and is easy to clean with water. They have shoulder straps for packing in your gear and handles for the airport. The compression straps can be used to attach a pole and reel in a separate case. The North Face standard base camp duffle is the classic example, but you can buy a knock off for about 1/2 the price.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Frank. That's pretty close to the one I have. Mine's black & has a heavy wire frame that you can collapse.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

check out the dan bailey line of bags, under the gear bags and luggage heading. i've always been interested in them.

https://www.dan-bailey.com/Via/index.jsp

eric zamora
fresno, ca.