The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 07:14 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Tie your own or buy them ?

C'mon let's have some reel good discussion & opinions:

1. Do you tie up your own tapered leaders or buy them ?

2. If you do tie them which knot do you prefer for them ?
(double surgeons, blood, or another)

3. Do you have a Butt section attached to the fly line (most
likely attached with a nail knot) that may have a loop connection,
or do you tie knots for each & avoid the loop ?

4. How many "tapered setups" do you take out with you, or do
you just tie up out on the water ?

5. If you buy them do you feel that is more cost $$ effective
than tying your own ?

6. Lastly, which is better in your opinion :
Tied tapered leaders, or ones you buy ?

For me the only time I have ever purchased a packaged tapered
leader was when I first started river fishing. I prefer tying my own.
Besides, it has helped me in learning to tie better knots.

What about you ? Care to voice your thoughts ?

Tie One On
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tie your own or buy them ?

Great idea for a thread.
I have always tied my own leaders at least since shortly after learning the how to properly tie a double surgens.
I like to use 8lb stren mono for the butt section attatched with a nail knot.I have used loop connections but since I don't "change leader's"on any particular set up,I prefer to use a nail knot.I like to use "Rio" tippet.Their dispenser's they have been useing for the last few years are great.
This year I used,2 spools of 4x,2.5spools of 5x,and 2 spools of 6x.It's highly arguable that this saves my any money,as I probaly spent close to 65 dollars on tippet this year,but it's close to the same level of satisfaction as catching fish on your own flies.Or fishing a rod you have built,well ok,if not the same level of satisfaction then at least in the same ball park.One good habit(besides forcing yourself to really concentrate and tie the best knots you can)is I find myself checking my leader much more often than I think I would if I used a premade leader.
I almost never make up leader's to take with me fishing.I really enjoy standing in a river,rod in armpit modifying or repairing my leader.Kinda has a art to it...here I go getting artsy fartsy...sorry.HA!
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

When I started to fly fish you used a nylon level leader, cat gut leaders or you tied your own tapered leader. I always used the blood/barrel knot. When tapered nylon leaders came on the market I started to use them. For years I tied on tippets using a blood knot and then started using a loop to loop connection. In some cases I use a double surgeon knot to tie on tippets and in Alaska I use a triple surgeon knot. For saltwater I use a uni-knot to uni-knot to tie on leaders. I find the new tapered leaders give you a good leader that can be quickly changed with a heavy butt designed to match the fly line. The tapered leaders don't pick up moss like leaders you tie yourself. A tied leader is much more likely to fail due to the multiple knots.

I have a very short section of heavy mono tied to the fly line with a loop in it. I carry 7' and 9' factory tapered leaders with a loop in the butt. Using tippet material I can make any length of leader that the fishing calls for. In Alaska I carry 4' tapered leaders ending in 1/0 and 2/0 with 1/0 to 4/0 tippet material. With this combo I can make any leader that I need.

Frank
Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Once upon a time, I bought 1/4lb spools of all the sizes of Ande Backcountry mono I could ever need to tie up leaders. This was when I had time to fish ALOT. I ended up using MAYBE 5% of the line on most of those spools. (used much more on some refilling spinning reels) I figure that was about $50 worth of mono.

Since mono has a limited shelf life, those spools now basically do me no good. While I could tie maybe 50x as many leaders from that $50 worth of mono, I may not use 600 leaders in the next 30 years. ($50/4=12.5 12x50=600)

Knotted leaders also catch grass, moss, and algae that exists most everywhere I fish. Knotless leaders don't and they really aren't that expensive. (I mean, 1 leader=1 starbucks bev? And the leader can make you smile, instead of staining your teeth)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road
Re: Tie your own or buy them ?

I've been tying my own leaders for quite a while. I stick to the patterns as outlined by Geo. Harvey and buy the kits from my local shop. A shop that Mr. Harvey visits quite often. What I have done to facilitate the measurements is use a metal metre measuring stick which I have secured to a small table. I also have my fly line winder on the same table, which is nothing more than a T.V. dinner table. The measurement of the various sections are made and as each one is made it's joined to the preceeding one with a blood knot. The end of the leader is left slightly longer in order to tie tippets as needed. I've found that theses leaders are much superiour to the store boughten' ones. The butt section is tied to the fly line with a nail knot and a small drop of crazy glue is placed on the knot. You have to make sure that very small amounts of tags on each blood knots remain, cut them as close as possible. I think it's also money saving to tie your own. Frank
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I makee my own leaders. Use Frogs hair with a blood knot and a double surgeon when attaching the flourocarbon tippet.
I also make my own furled leaders out of Uni Thread.
For stillwater, I don't bother with a tapered leader at all.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM

fez is on a distinguished road

i've been interested in learning more about leader tying, but mostly because some leaders i like to use are very hard to find. i tend to fish streamers a lot, and like to use a 5 ft 0x or 1x for streamers. i know some companies make them, but i have a hard time finding them.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
i've been interested in learning more about leader tying, but mostly because some leaders i like to use are very hard to find. i tend to fish streamers a lot, and like to use a 5 ft 0x or 1x for streamers. i know some companies make them, but i have a hard time finding them.
Hi fez,

You need to look for Salmon leaders. That is the style of leader I used in Alaska. Leaders are light, order some on the web. Just don't get too many. They will deteriorate over time.

Frank
Old 10-08-2007, 11:36 PM

fez is on a distinguished road

Frank, thanks, nice place you got here.

i'll check out that salmon leader thing. dont have too many salmon here in sw montana, so i guess it isnt too surprising they are hard to find.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:19 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I buy mine from a local Fly Shop, but I almost always use the Orvis or Rio leaders that already have the loop in them. I can tie my own though, my dad made me learn...