Authenticating Messinger Flys

dejaylures

Reaction score
I need help with authenticating Joe Messinger Sr. flys. My father passed away and I inherited a collection of rods, reels, lures and a collection of flys in a case with Signature cards of both Joe Messinger Sr. and Jr., a photo of Sr. sent to my father by Jr., 18 flys, four of which my father ordered from Messinger jr. in 1992, and 3 old cards that the fly were attached to. I am an ex-school teacher and have no interest in keeping them, but don't know where to go or who to ask about them. I'm sure your group could give me information in this area. There is also supposed to be a catalog of Sr. Messinger that jr. sent my father, but I have yet to find it. I believe one fly is called Buck Tail and another Buck Tail Popper. That's all I know.
Thank you,
Kim Vigil
California

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Kim,

Is the guy from Maine? If so someone from Florida was looking to sell flies here about six or more months ago. As for authenticating them; I haven't a clue as to how to do this.

Good luck,

Ard

dejaylures

Reaction score
Ard, no my father lived in northern California and Joe Messinger lives in West Virginia same as his father when he was alive, I believe. I just needed help with someone familiar with this type of fly.
Thanks for your help
Kim

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I remember an article on Joe Messinger that was in American Angler years ago
He was handicapped and didn't get around all that well, but he would travel to different fishin' spots and tie flies to sell on a custom tying desk built into rear seat of his Model T.
In the trunk area he had built-in cages where he kept live chickens for "hackle on the hoof" :D

Ard, his most well known fly and one that is still tied today is a bass bug called the Messinger Frog. He was also the originator of the 'irresistible'

Kim, I'd get in touch with Joe Jr. Here's the address given to buy his DVD Tying the Bucktail Frog

Joe Messinger -- 99 Paradise Circle -- Morgantown, WV -- 26508.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ard, his most well known fly and one that is still tied today is a bass bug called the Messinger Frog. He was also the originator of the 'irresistible'
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Rip Tide doesn't know, you don't need to know. Thanks Paul, I am familiar with the irresistible but didn't have a clue as to who originated the fly.

You Da Man,

Ard

dee

Reaction score
I need help with authenticating Joe Messinger Sr. flys. My father passed away and I inherited a collection of rods, reels, lures and a collection of flys in a case with Signature cards of both Joe Messinger Sr. and Jr., a photo of Sr. sent to my father by Jr., 18 flys, four of which my father ordered from Messinger jr. in 1992, and 3 old cards that the fly were attached to. I am an ex-school teacher and have no interest in keeping them, but don't know where to go or who to ask about them. I'm sure your group could give me information in this area. There is also supposed to be a catalog of Sr. Messinger that jr. sent my father, but I have yet to find it. I believe one fly is called Buck Tail and another Buck Tail Popper. That's all I know.
Thank you,
Kim Vigil
California
I could help you with the frog. Feel free to message me with any specific questions, if you'd like.