The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 AM

Nugget is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Nugget
Post New to Flyfishing!

G'day,
I'm new to the website. Just joined. Been looking for something like this for some time. I've wanted to learn to fly fish for a while now and this might just be the kick in the butt I need.

I do not know anything about fly fishing. Know nothing at all! I'm serious. Looking to buy a fly rod and reel for the "South Australian Black Bream". For my first setup I'm looking to spend around $500 for a basic setup. If I like it I'll spend more on gear. Please give me all your help and information possible.

My e-mail is "Death.or.glory-@hotmail.com", please add me if you want to chat.

Cheers, Nugget.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New to Flyfishing!

Hi Nugget,

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good people on this forum with lots of information. Could you tell us a bit more about your Black Bream. Are they different than American bream? Will you be fishing for Bass or Trout?

We have a few other members from your area.

Frank
Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! I'm also curious to hear more about these bream.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Welcome :-)

I too am interested in hearing about Black Bream.

Is it a type of panfish ?

Or something a little more challenging ?

You'll find great help on this website.

Like Frank mentioned, give us a few details regarding
what these Black Bream are like & you'll find this site
will give you great information on rod/reel required,
fly line to use, leader, etc.

Again Welcome,

Tie One On
Old 10-06-2007, 08:37 PM

G'day,
Sorry about the late reply. I've been a bit busy. I'll fill you in on the Black Bream.

To start with, they are a pan fish. I like to put them back, I'm catch and release when it comes to this species. I will be targetting Redfin, Trout and other various Australian freshwater species.

Here is a "little" bit of information on them.
"Size
450g - 3kg.
Habitat
The Black Bream is found in more southerly estuarine and inshore coastal waters from southern W.A. across to southern N.S.W. including north and east Tas. This fish is predominantly an estuarine species but occasionally can be found in oceanic waters. Black bream are attracted to structures like wharf plyons, snags, eroded banks and rock walls which offer protection and shelter.
Qualities
Scavenger fish that is timid and can be spooked easily. They are sensitive to noise, flashing lights and shadows. Good sport on light lines and when hooked behave erratically usually dashing and darting about in short bursts. If cover is close by such as a reef or pier pylons then bream will dive amongst this cover when hooked.
Record
Aust record: 3.45kg
Best Bait

bait: Bass Yabbies (nippers), Chicken, Freshwater yabbies, Garden worm, Mussel, Poddy mullet, Prawn, Sand worm, Shrimp
lure: Minnow, Minnow Rattler, Minnow Neutral Bouyant, Soft Plastics
Tackle

Link: 2 - 6kg main line with a 40cm trace.
Hook: No.4 - 1/0 Mustad 540 Viking, No.4,6 or 8 Longshank for nippers, prawn and worm baits.
Rig: Light rig with lightest ball running sinker as possible."
=
*Information taken from "http://fishnet.com.au/".

I don't use bait to catch Black Bream, haven't for about two years. It's all been done on light spinning gear with Soft Plastics and Hard Bodies.

They give off a great fight darting for any form of structure they can find. One of the best fighting fish I've found, pound for pound that is.

Hope this helps you out in helping me out.

Cheers, Nugget.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:18 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

sorry to go off on a tangent, but are you a clash fan? (death or glory :-)

either way, welcome to the site!

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 AM

Yes, I like "The Clash" if you're talking about the old English band. But my e-mail has nothing to do with it. It's my favourite so called 'saying'. I've got a few custom rods with that 'saying' written on it too, just a little interesting fact I thought everyone should know lol.

Nugget.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 AM

Hey again,
Just trying to forfill my informational needs lol.

1). I noticed that Fly Line isn't measured in Kg or lb's. It's measured in Wt. Is there any difference between Wt and lb?

2). Leaders: What types of leaders are there? Do you have to buy speacial fly leader or can you use flurocarbon? Monofilament would be better than a flurocarbon because flurocarbons sink alot faster than mono.

3). Are there different knots for fly fishing. When using my light bream gear I tie a variation of knots. I use the following.

*Line to Reel Spool: Double Uni- I tie the Double Uni and twist it around the spool twice before tightening it and snipping it off.

*Leader Knots: Bimini, Double Uni and Five Twist Surgeon.

*Leader to Lure: Double Uni, Blood Knot and Loop Knot.

4). Do you need to use Fly Backing?

5). Is there much difference in flies? Is it better to buy them when you're starting off or make your own?

I've got no idea about the flies, what their names are and all that stuff. It's really confusing to me at the moment. I'm sure I'll pick it up quickly as my life is built around fishing.

Cheers, Nugget.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sounds like your black bream get a bit bigger than what we refer to as panfish. 3kg is a good sized fish, I'd say.

Onto your questions:
1: the "weights" fly lines fall into refers to the weight of the line itself, not its breaking strength. Most all fly lines, even the lightest are built on at least a 20lb breaking strength core. To determine the "weight" of a fly line, one would have to weigh the first 30 feet of it (in grains) and use this to determine what "weight" range it fell into.

What you need to know is this- a 5 weight rod is designed to cast a 5wt line, and you don't need to worry about the fly line itself breaking. (assuming you're using properly matched leader/tippet with this line/rod combo, which shouldn't ever be over 10 lbs.

2: I would say that most fly fishers use premade knotless tapered monofilament leaders. I would start out with a 7-8' leader, of strength to math your fly and rod.

3: It sounds like you've got a more than adequate base of knowledge on knots. I use: arbor knot- backing to spool, nail knot- backing to line and leader to line, double surgeons- tippet to leader, and improved clinch- flies.

4: backing is to fill up the spool fully (reels for a given line size are designed for it to be used), and to keep you attached to the fish. Its pretty cheap, lasts a very long time, and I wouldn't skip it.

5: With flies, for the most part, you get what you pay for. There is an American company called Umpqua that makes the finest factory flies I know of. They're not the cheapest though, and Orvis' flies fits this description as well. There are some really cheap flies out there, but one often gets what you pay for. I'm assuming there's a major catalog/interweb dealer of fly tackle down under, and I'd reccommend buying from them at first.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 AM

Thanks for that information. I'll look into the Australian fly dealers. I know alot of the holesalers that can help me out, as I work in a tackle store. I need to learn alot more about this subject so any more information you can dish out, I'll take in.

Cheers, Nugget.