The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 04:42 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cabela Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I am not sure about Sage, but I suspect that the Launch and maybe the FLi is from overseas.
Frank.. I think the launch is made stateside or so this says so.

The three years Sage spent developing G5 Technology clearly demonstrated that the key to better casting is the ability to feel the rod load. So when they designed the new Launch Series rods, they applied what they learned to create a smooth, progressive power curve and an extremely high strength-to-weight ratio. Loosely translated, that means Launch Series rods provide an exceptional level of line connection or feel, allowing anglers of all abilities to cast better and more easily. And because they’re Sage rods, every Launch Series rod is hand built on Bainbridge Island with wood reel seat inserts, chrome-plated snake guides and high-grade Portuguese cork grips.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Oregon,

Thanks for that information. If the Launch is made here then the FLi probably is too. That is good to know. I may have to re-think the lower cost rods I am recommending. It looks like Sage and Scott may have some good low cost rods that are made in America.

Frank
Old 10-06-2007, 08:12 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hey bonefish41,

How come you are not out fishing today?

The St Croix Avid may be another exception. It is a $220-$240 rod in the 5/6wt and made in the USA. They do use their SCIII graphite with inexpensive hardware and medium actions. The Ultra at $320 is a very good rod and it uses the SCIV graphite and it also is USA made. I am not sure about Sage, but I suspect that the Launch and maybe the FLi is from overseas.

Frank
Had to work but went friday
Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

In my collection I have Scott V2 and A2 rods and I also have a Sage Launch and FLI spoken about earlier. I like all of these rods, they are all keepers, and they are all made in the USA. I also have some Thomas & Thomas rods which are also made in USA. The V2 and Launch at under $200.00 are in my opinon the best values going on rods.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:44 AM

Frank, In my collection of rods I have the Scott V2 and A2 plus the mentioned Launch and Fli rods. I buy rods not only by weight and length but by the type fishing I am going to do with it and feel. I like the V2 a lot. The V2 I own is a 5wt 9' model. The rod is easy to cast and feel load up. It is very forgiving, and because of these traits I think that it would be good for beginners or expereinced casters. I find the V2 to be a good accurate rod for presenting small flies out to about 60'. One weakness I would say is that the cork in the handle should be denser and the tip could have more power. As far as pricing goes on fly rods, the V2 has to be one of the best values going. Scott rods come with a lifetime warranty and unlike the TFO rods it does come with a tube.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi hardhat,

That is good information. I have always liked the A2 but didn't know anything about the V2. I think Scott makes some of the best looking rods out there. I think the V2 and the Sage Launch is just a bit too much money for a beginner. It is really hard to find a better starter rod than the TFO Professional.

The Thomas & Thomas rods are very nice. I really like the Light Presentation. What rods from T&T do you have?

Frank

T&T Light Presentation
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Frank, Until recently I had a LPS 904-3. It was a wonderful rod. I still own a XL 4 908S-4. I bought the XL 4 for a particular trip I was going to take but it fell through so the XL 4 rod has not been fished. I have some practice time with the rod on water however. I can see why you like the Light Presentation rods as in my mind they are champion contenders.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Okay! Back to the original question now that we have been educated on China.

Does anyone know who Cabelas is getting their rods from? (What manufacturer in China?)

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

All Loomis rods are made in Woodland, WA
Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 AM

cimages11 is on a distinguished road

Shouldn't put those made in China rods in your mouth either, they probably have lead in the paint like all their toys...