The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default taking a chance at tiger musky

I've been doing some ice-off fishing at Gross reservoir the last few weekends. There has been a section of open water a few acres large and growing near the dam. Stories of musky at Gross abound, but sightings are rare (the res is pretty large, and deep too).
One day caught about a dozen stockers and zero bigger fish. I could have caught as many stockers as I wanted by the dam, not even really sport!
About a week later on the opposite bank by the dam, caught about 35 stockers <12" and on the walk out found a 17" brown by some deep rocks.

Here is the thing:
1. the stocked fish are just too easy. you can catch 100 if you fish long enough. (although a blast on a 3wt for a while)
2. the bigger rainbows, lakers, and browns are seldom, and hiding out now that people have been fishing the res. (fun great fighting fish, hard to find from shore).
3. I caught a couple of stocked fish with recent musky wounds (deep triangular wounds raking toward the tail), and it got me excited about the fact that at least one musky is patrolling the few acres of open water at gross near the dam.
4. while fishing for the little guys, every now and then the whole group would disappear.

So off I go today to take a few stabs with my virgin 10wt.
The odds will be like playing super-lotto, but crowds should be down on a monday, and the lake is effectively smaller than usual. The stocked fish are in large schools near the dam, which means a big musky should be taking advantage of the easy pickins'.

I have a couple of 8" streamers I tied to look like the local stocked rainbows (kind of bland actually). A new 30' clear sink tip, a short 40lb. mono leader with a 24" 15# stainless bite tippet. I will be out a bit late in the day, but there are some good cliff drop offs where a good cast puts you in 50feet of water pretty quick. Also it is partly cloudy, which should help.

Wish me luck! (or at least a few hundred casts of practice into that 10,000 cast fish..)

I am bringing the five wt. for when my shoulder gives up.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking a chance at tiger musky

Sounds like a good plan, best of luck! Be sure to take a camera just in case your lotto number comes up.

Larry

Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

tigers are about the same as pike. they are not anywhere near as picky or stubborn as full blooded musky. You should be able to catch a couple of them. I knwo people who have caught many tigers and not a single muskie

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Muskie are not as tough as some would lead you to believe and much tougher than others would have you believe. They feed in windows. Put anything in front of them when they are in a feeding window and they will play ball...ask me how i know. Trick is to know when and where they will be hitting the foodbag Tigers on the other hand are slobs. They are very aggressive. Problem is in the numbers. Compared to trout they are scarce. Concentrate on the best structure and hold on...tigers are very aggressive and very big.