The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Pink Weenie Recipe

Well this is a fly alot of the people on my local forum use. It works great and I know a few of yall were wanting to see it.

#10 4x
Orange Kevlar thread
Ultra Chenille (any color you prefer)
Lead wrap (Optional)
Tungsten Bead

Wrap the shank of the hook until you reach the barb and lay the chenille on the shank pointing torwards the eye and begin to wrap.

Click the image to open in full size.

Once to the eye of the hook wrap bag down and make a loop with the chenille and tie it down.

Wrap the chenille up the hook to the eye, wrap more than once if you want a thicker body.

Tie it off and lay some head cement. You can also cut the loop to make a single strand tail, both patterns have worked for me.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pink Weenie Recipe

This is just simply a great fly, and I use it extensively in green. I've tied them with red chenille, but haven't used them on the stream. The first weenies I tied were tied with a black bead head like yours, but I began tying them w/o beads. It's tough to say which works best. I also tie the bead head weenies with a pinch of ice chenille (green) for a very sparse collar. I carry 3 fly boxes when fishing: one for streamers and wooly buggers, another for nymphs and dries, and the last is reserved solely for weenies.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:43 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'm sending some flies to my buddy in Wyoming. It will include some "pink weenies". Thanks for posting the recipe.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
This is just simply a great fly, and I use it extensively......I carry 3 fly boxes when fishing: ....... the last is reserved solely for weenies.
Hard to believe that a pattern that basic is a good fish-catcher. But, I hear the reports - loud and clear. Looks like I'm going to have to tie up a few and give them a try!

Thanks for posting the photo how-to-tie.

Pocono
Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 AM

jmcg is on a distinguished road

It doesn't get much more simple than that.
Pretty cool!
How do you fish it?
As a nymph or streamer?
Both?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

I fish it both ways, usually I just let it dead drift about 8-10 times, and then if no hits I'll proceed in stripping it through the pool.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Thanks for posting the pattern on the pink weenie!
Hard to believe you can catch trout on that!

Larry
Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The 'green weenie' has been around for years
It's intended to be a caddis larva, but around here we also use them as an inch worm imitation.
Pink may be even more of an attention getter
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the photos and recipe! I'll have to try it. I'll bet it also would be easy to tie on a tube.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:20 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I have used a tandom of green and brown weenie with geat success. Pink sounds great. I often fish these small berkley power worms in pink and they work great.