The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM

hooked_on_bugs is on a distinguished road
Default leaders for pike and musky

I cut my teeth fly fishing trout and salmon on Alaska's Kenai peninsula. I'm back in WI for school and am ready to tackle some toothy giants with my 9wt.

My question: What are some of the best options for leaders when chasing pike and musky? I've been using 20lb mono with a 50lb power pro tippet and it works, but I feel like there are better options out there. Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM

NDflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: leaders for pike and musky

I like to use 20lb stiff mono with titanium leader material as a tippet. Titanium is much better than steel or toothy critter material because its very difficult to kink. A kink or two will make your fly look unnatural in the water. my 2 cents
Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 AM

hooked_on_bugs is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip, where can I find titanium leader material? Trying to get quality fly fishing gear in central WI can be frustrating.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM

NDflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I like a product called BOA. It's titanium shock leader used mostly for salt water. All your regular knots will work. You can order it online from tackle direct. Get 20lb its the same dia as 0X tippet material. 20lb seems way stronger than 20lb mono breaking strength.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked_on_bugs View Post
Thanks for the tip, where can I find titanium leader material? Trying to get quality fly fishing gear in central WI can be frustrating.

How far away from Madison are you? Talk to On The Creek fly shop down in Cross Plains. The owner is a cool guy, who is a big pike/musky freak. If he doesn't have it, I'm sure he'll order it in for you. I recently picked up a rod and reel from him and will be returning for future business as well.