The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default new drag system

has any one heard of the new turbine drag system yet? It is supposed to be a propeller and a fluid that increases drag as the fish runs faster.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: new drag system

An Argentinian reel co called STH debuted those nearly ten years ago. I don't know about the engineering merits of the drag system itself, but I don't think those reels sold all that well.

From what I recall, the drag protruded beyond the reels backplate, and was above the spindle, so it probably didn't balance as well as a drag that's closer to the reel's center of gravity.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

hmm well the concept of the drag makes a whole lot of sense but idk if it would necessarily be better than anything else
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
has any one heard of the new turbine drag system yet? It is supposed to be a propeller and a fluid that increases drag as the fish runs faster.
Makes no sense to me.

I'd want a consistent drag that does NOT depend on how fast the line is going out. The faster the line goes out, you want the reel drag to be less. The more line that out, the water drag on the line increases. This water drag is added to the reel drag so you need to back off the drag.

Plus the forced need to turn the spool increases as the line goes out. The working radius of the reel decreases as the line goes out, and more force is needed to rotate the reel spindle against the drag setting. The drag is resistance of the spool against turning, and the force needed to turn the spool varies with how much line is on the spool
fredaevans likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

I remember when those first came out several years ago. Funky-looking things. Might work, but I wouldn't want it to increase drag as it ran faster - especially when trout fishing with light tippets.

Seems like one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situations to me.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 PM

mdelletro is on a distinguished road

any pics of this reel?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Isn't the purpose of the drag to slow the fish by making it work against a resistance while not exceeding the strength of the tippet? I'd think that when a fish is that strong, the last thing I want to do is clamp down the drag a little more unless I'm about to be spooled.
Davo and fredaevans like this.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
Isn't the purpose of the drag to slow the fish by making it work against a resistance while not exceeding the strength of the tippet? I'd think that when a fish is that strong, the last thing I want to do is clamp down the drag a little more unless I'm about to be spooled.
Have to agree there! If the fish takes off on you the drag would end up snapping your leader.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Makes no sense to me.

I'd want a consistent drag that does NOT depend on how fast the line is going out. The faster the line goes out, you want the reel drag to be less. The more line that out, the water drag on the line increases. This water drag is added to the reel drag so you need to back off the drag.

Plus the forced need to turn the spool increases as the line goes out. The working radius of the reel decreases as the line goes out, and more force is needed to rotate the reel spindle against the drag setting. The drag is resistance of the spool against turning, and the force needed to turn the spool varies with how much line is on the spool
Silver: That reminds me of fishing on the Missouri last spring. We were catching fish at a good rate but once in a while we would hook into a really big trout and he would run straight down river in the slack water along the shore and then hook out into the heavy current in the middle and start running back up river towards us. We could only follow the fish so far down the shore line before running into obstacles. The result was that we had all this line out in a big "J" pattern as the fish keep swimming up river and the drag from the line in the water just keep increasing and eventually the fish would break off even though we were using 2x tippet

Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I would think the drag would become less resistance as the turbine (propeller?) spins. As the fluid is put in motion it should offer less resistance as the "flow" increases.