The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Barbed hooks? What's your opinion? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/258656-barbed-hooks-whats-your-opinion.html)

fishalong 03-29-2012 04:34 PM

Barbed hooks? What's your opinion?

Recently got some heat for displaying my infliction towards barbed hooks (and nets for that matter).

I thought it would be a great conversation to bring up, (and I'm just curious how alone I am with the issue).

Do you de-barb your hook, why or why not?

I think it's interesting that most parts of Canada have made barbed hooks illegal, yet I have never heard too much commotion about them within the States.

Love to hear everyone's opinion.

wannafish 03-29-2012 04:40 PM

Re: Barbed hooks? What's your opinion?

I will be using barbless for the first time this spring but I've lately heard an argument in favour of barbed that claimed they do less harm because the barb keeps the hook in place whereas the barbless hook supposedly works a larger hole.

dhayden 03-29-2012 05:03 PM

barbless always

Nets..whatever the person needs to land and release the fish with the least trauma.

I've seen fish more damaged without nets than with them, it's experiece that decides

ausablebrown 03-29-2012 05:03 PM

Many of us have beat this horse in another thread already, I can't find the link but its on here somewhere.

However, I don't think I've heard arguments in favor of or against the use of nets on the site. I'm not sure how you could land big-ish fish without a net in a manner that wouldn't inflicting serious exhaustion upon them. I typically don't fish with a net when I know the water I'm in holds 14" or less trout; they are very easy to bring "to hand". It is much harder to bring in a hard fighting 20" trout. I'd say that you would almost double your fight by trying to get your hands on them rather than a net.

bigjim5589 03-29-2012 06:34 PM

Unless it's a matter of following the law, if a person chooses to use barbed hooks, then that should not be anyone else's business. It's like choosing to use bait, flies or lures. It's your choice. Someone else does not have to like it, agree with it or do it, but as long as it's legal I have no issue with it, provided others are not doing stupid things, like ripping hooks out of a fish they cannot keep. That becomes an entirely different issue.

For me, regardless of tackle, not just for flies, I debarb most of my hooks, even trebles on lures. However, sometimes I forget. Somewhere that requires barbless or debarbed hooks by law, I make sure I'm within the law.

I cannot say I ever recall any occasion where I've lost a fish due to there being no barb, so it's an easy choice for me. I've also been stuck enough times to know that a barbless or debarbed hook is so much easier to remove from my flesh, that it makes little sense to use a barbed hook.

I own two nets, one is very large, and is only used occasionally when Striper fishing or for larger catfish. The other is a small C & R type net that cradles the fish. I got it primarily for panfish, because I got tired of getting stuck with fins. I would use this type of net if I did any trout fishing, but with C & R, I would make sure to keep the trout in the water. Improper use of any net can likely be as much of an issue as anything we do.

I feel that the type of netting used is more of an issue too than whether a net is or isn't used. I've seen folks pick up fish around the mid section & squeeze so hard trying keep a grip, that they surely do some damage. So even not using a net can cause harm. It's all in how you handle the fish.

The old single strand nylon type nets that are typically used for crabs or the cotton knotted nets are not good for fish, they can cut them or remove too much of their outside coating and can do too much damage. A net with a wide material, like some of the rubber coated nets, the "C & R" types are much better if you're going to use a net at all.

Still, regardless of how you choose to handle a fish, with a net or not, you have to use some common sense about it! That, is indeed a big issue these days!

attila 03-29-2012 06:40 PM

I like barbless on size 12 hooks and larger, smaller than size 14 I can't see the harm. I've been wrong before though :icon_smil

ausablebrown 03-29-2012 06:47 PM

Can anyone on here tell me just how fragile a trout is? I thought I read in a post of a plac where hatchery trout were dumped off of a 50ft bridge into the river? If that's the case, a little squeeze shouldn't hurt them too awful much. I'm not condoning superfluous squeezing, but what is the truth of the matter?

blueline 03-29-2012 06:48 PM

I go barbless = easier to get out of my ear!:)

bigger flys like PIKE and STRIPERS most salt water I will leave the barbs on thats about 10% of my fishing though

bigjim5589 03-29-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Can anyone on here tell me just how fragile a trout is? I thought I read in a post of a plac where hatchery trout were dumped off of a 50ft bridge into the river? If that's the case, a little squeeze shouldn't hurt them too awful much. I'm not condoning superfluous squeezing, but what is the truth of the matter?
The times I've witnessed stocking, it was done at a short distance if dumped. The truck usually has some type of chute or large diameter hose. Otherwise the fish are carefully placed in containers & carried to places along the stream, & released by hand. But as you say, it probably happens in less than favorable manners too sometimes. I really don't know how much damage such releases may cause.

I'm sure we've all heard the new's reports of human babies falling off 2nd or 3rd floor balconies without any harm. Most animals can take a certain amount of rough treatment, and sometimes even in extreme cases, like the babies, it's surprising there is no or little damage, but that's not the point.

I've seen folks squeeze many species of fish until the vent was pushed way out & even bleeding from the vent. When that type of damage occurs, you can bet the fish stand little chance of surviving if released. But, some may anyway. If they're putting them on a stringer to take home & eat, it really doesn't matter much.

The point is to use your head about how you handle any species you do not wish to harm & wish to release to be caught another day. There is going to be some harm, even if it's just the small hole from the hook, it's fishing, but we can do things that minimize it, by how we choose to handle a fish.

Hardyreels 03-29-2012 07:44 PM

Dry fly fishing for trout = barbless hooks
Fishing for small trout = my little Brodin net

Wet fly fishing for fish I expect to weigh at least 3 pounds or more = barbed hook
When fishing for big game I land the fish or tail it, I don't net

Here is the other thread: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ss-barbed.html