The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 AM

kjschepp is on a distinguished road
Default Rod reel question

Relatively new to freshwater game fish fly fishing. Do more inland trout inwisconsin. I have a cabellas 9ft 6wt fly rod with discontinued csr or csl2 reel can't remember now. Was my first fly rod. I would like to for sure small mouth and large mouth bass fish and also dabble in musky/northern.(lots of lakes by me have musky. I would like to know how to, if logical, to outfit my current rod to the above cconditions (from backing type, to fly line type, to leader/Tippett type). Or should I just buy a 9-10 wt rod(fished with it before on a guided trip and had no prob casting) and reel? If so could u just tell me what I should buy from ( whole package). There is so much stuff I don't know what to get. Don't want the cheapest but not the most expensive. Thank you

Keven
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM

blueline is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod reel question

IMO your 6 wt is good for bass/bluegill and such, you will brob want to get a 3 or 4 wt down the road for small dry presentation. For pike and muski I prefer an 8wt or larger, can be done on lighter rod I just prefer more backbone in the rod.

enjoy the obsession

BL
Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM

I do have a4 wt orvis rod n reel. Could u answer more specifically what rod reel I should get and line / leaders?
K
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

For trout your 4wt should be great. Get a matching 4wt floating weight forward line for it (lots of options out there, orvis has a bunch on clearance or hit a local fly shop) for leader and tippet,get 4 and 5 x. 9 ft tapered leader and spools of 4x, 5x, and maybe 6x tippet.

For bass your 6wt is great. Unless they are deep, get a 6wt floating wt forward line and 2x and 3x tapered leaders with a spools of 2x and 3x tippet.

You can get more complex but I think that's a good start. For both I'd just use standard dacron backing to fill the spool under the line.

For musky, if they are of any size I'd get an 8 or 9. Go to a local shop or cabelas / bass pro shop and talk to the folks. I know the orvis streamline combo includes line for just over 200. Other places will have different combos. I don't have a strong recommendation on line except that you need to think if you want floating or sinking line or both. For leader/tippet you can get something strong but might need something to keep them from biting through your line. Go to a local shop, they'd know what's needed in your area.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM

That is a good start and thank u.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road

KJ,

For casting large flies to pike and musky, you'll definitely want an 8wt +. I would personally recommend an 8wt as it will be more versatile going forward. An 8wt will work for bonefish, stripers, small tarpon, redfish, etc.

The TFO BVK is a great choice for the money and near the top of Yellowstone Anglers annual 8wt rod test. A 'moderate' priced reel would be the Ross Momentum LT, which has one of the best drags for the $ and is still reasonably light.

Lines will vary more on your conditions - but the SA Magnum or Rio Clouser will give you greater ability for casting large flies.