The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 PM

Montana Bandit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: reading your strike indicator-help?

Thanks for your many helpful suggestions...I've been using mostly 9' of tapered leaders,ie, 5x and 6x. Pls clarify suggested tippet length. Also, when nymphing hi stick, is that the same as roll casting upstream? Most of my nymphing was casting slightly downstream(25-35' lengths) and mending upstream right away. Obviously I can control drag better with a slightly downstream cast, but I have to cast much more frequently as it's a shorter float.

If I'm using a weighted/beaded wet fly for nymphing, is adding a little more weight still necessary?

Ducktrooper........I would suggest that since you are using tapered leaders that you get a 7 1/2' nymph leader. Some brands have a small piece of colored fly line threaded onto the leader to assist in identifing strikes. These "indicators" very rarely help at all but do not hurt in any way. Now, unless you are fishing in barely moving or extremely slow moving water you can move up to a slightly larger tippet. In big water such as the Madison, Missouri, Yellowstone etc we use 2, 3, or 4x leaders.

Now, roll casting is exactly what it suggests, casting. High sticking is holding your rod up high to keep as much line off the water as possible to eliminate drag. Roll casting STILL requires that the caster perform the manuvers suggested in previous posts (except the aerial mend). If there is enough room for a back cast it is a much better option for line control in fast water.

A down stream cast with nymphs is effective IF the water is of a speed that allows a controlled "shake" to pay out slack line to follow your fly downstream. In most cases a quarted upstream cast is usually the best. With an across stream cast next if the water is slow enough to allow it. Remember, nothing is cast in stone as different sitiuations may require different methods but learn the basics and then you will be ready to adapt to whatever conditions the water or weather has to offer.

Weight??????...You want your nymph "ticking" the bottom so you want to use enough weight to keep the fly "bouncing" along at the speed of the current. Very few small nymphs have enough weight (bead heads) added to do this effectively except in very slow moving water. When fishing a certain stretch of water it may be neccesary to change weight (+ or -) a number of times before you get it right.

Cheers....The Bandit