The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough
Default Brassie Hair Packer

I got a package in the mail today from my dad which included a video on spey casting and a Brassie Hair Packer. I am at a complete loss of how to use this tool. Does anyone have any experience using one?

Hair Packers
Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brassie Hair Packer

It's for packing the deer hair tightly when you spin it. After you spin some on and want it to be packed together more tightly, put the tool over the eye of the hook and push the hair towards the bend then wrap in front of the hair to lock it and add more in front. Makes tight bass bugs that float well.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what William said. If you haven't seen deer hair spun on a hook, here is a good video. He isn't using the deer hair packer, I haven't used one either but I think you can pack the hair much tigher when you use one. You use the packer between the clumps of deer hair applied to get the tightest group you can possibly get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKOn...eature=related

Larry

Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I'm like Larry and do not use on of these handy and cheap little tools. I use my thumb and forefinger tip, but I always think about owning one...when I am tying to pack hair with my fingers...!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

One tip, when I use the tool, I like to use Kevlar thread. The thread is nice and strong for spinning deer hair anyway, but it can also save you some frustration. The packing tool can cut 3/0 thread if you're packing the hair tightly and the Kevlar holds up well.