The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Rod guides

I picked up a St. Croix Avid 9ft, 3pc, 10wt recently. I noticed that this rod has single foot, circular guides. I got my boss another Avid and a Colton Tradewinds (both 9ft 10wts, the Colton is 4pc and the Avid is a 2pc, both used) that has snake guides.

My question: although the answer is probably going to be "because somebody at the rod company decided it should be that way" but why would someone put a single foot guides in lieu of the snake guides.

Is one considered better than the other?
Old 04-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod guides

Hi Robert,

Two things that come to mind are; single foot guides are quicker to wrap and finish (half the work) and for what it's worth, weight and action. I have heard some profess that the less wraps and finish on a blank, the more true or unencumbered the action of the blank may be.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-01-2012, 04:27 AM

flymark is on a distinguished road

Other than tradition - there's no benefit to traditional double foot snakes over single foot snakes. Most high end rod makers are making the switch to single foots, because they weigh less, and when you're shaving tenths of ounces off your rods, less thread, less epoxy, and less metal is better. Like Ard said, you get a truer action to the rod that way.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The only disadvantages The Single foot guides have are because there is not as much Binding & perhaps on Heavier Rods they can be dislodged easier,however if looked after there shouldn't be any problems.
Brian.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's it.
With the heavy weight rods, you're not going to see many with the single foot guides.
It's too easy for a knot or small tangle, flying through the guides at top speed, to rip one off

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-01-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Yeah that's it.
With the heavy weight rods, you're not going to see many with the single foot guides.
It's too easy for a knot or small tangle, flying through the guides at top speed, to rip one off
My Echo 8 weight has single foot guides. Their 10+ might use snakes - but I don't think they are worried about pulling a guide out of the wraps by casting or fighting fish. You'll probably break the rod blank before pulling a guide out, unless the guide wasn't wrapped very well.