The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Simms customer service

Put me down for never a problem.. sorry about the other experiences. Probably true for every company in some form.. like Brand F Truck vs Brand C Truck

Sometimes it feels like I have thier whole catalog in my basement.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:22 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

My experience with Simms customer service is so good I wouldn't consider another wader or boot manufacturer.

My wife got me a new pair of Simms waders for Christmas. (Okay I picked them out and the fly shop owner set them aside for her to come in and buy but that still counts as her getting them for me.)

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

My response should have been more careful. I should have said:

I'm sorry to hear that you have had bad experiences with Simms. That's a drag. I have had very good service from them and I hope you get to experience it soon.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I've nothing but excellent customer service from Simms - Waders, Boots, Jackets, Bags... very pleased. Done some of the returns myself and had good results as well as had my fly shop handle the warranty issues. Good on both fronts.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

[/COLOR]I think I may know what's up with the Simms repair dept: Simms is known to offer high quality gear that they stand behind with a guarantee. Considering that they have outsourced the majority of their line to be produced over seas it wouldn't surprise me if their repair dept. is swamped with the massive line of fishing clothing etc. they now offer... There is a good possibility that they are growing to fast and aren't equipped to handle the shear volume of gear that is being returned for repair and it's showing up as such on this forum. Simms needs to be careful that they maintain the quality and customer service that has separated them for the rest as the best. I have had nothing but top notch service from the company on multiple occasions;it would be a shame to see the company go the way of "The North Face", "Marmot" etc.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I have no inside knowledge but I will say that when customer service starts to wane, it can mean underlying financial problems for the company.

Since Simms is privately held, there is no way to tell. They could be cutting back on customer service to make their bottom line look better for a sale.
+1 here?

Are the Simms products any better than the average 'run of the mill?' Probably, but at "4X" the cost?

I think not; honestly can't think of a single reason I'd pay as much as $800 for a set of waders (I won't even go into what they ask for the rest of their 'gear.') You can purchase very good equipment for 1/4 of that figure and buy 3 'back ups' if so moved.

Personally I use Dan Bailey's and I've been hard pressed to get to the point of tossing a set. One 'chestie' was sent to them for 'repair' and call back a few days later telling me they were ... well, just worn out. I can live with that as I'd used them (I kid you not!) for close to TEN YEARS!

What was 'wrong?' The material would 'weep' in places but the neo-booties had just given up the ghost. End game was leaving them in the back of the Jeep (hot sun/inside car temps) had just done the rubber material in....

Like 'Dah Fred?' End game was a credit card number and replacements on my door step about 5 days later.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

I typically stay out of these threads, but given how much Simms has bent over backward for me in the past, I really feel inclined to send them some love.

I recently had a very disappointing warranty experience with another company, so I can definitely empathize. I personally have been to Simms headquarters and seen their warranty department. It's literally two people, with a literal mountain of gear to go through. And from the looks of it, it was mostly gear that had just been worn out past its lifespan, not failed product. Simms is not as huge an operation as one might think, and the few who are working there are working unbelievably hard to keep the customers happy. Things don't always go perfectly, but that can be said for any company.

I fish a lot. Far more than the average angler. Most all my fishing involves hiking, climbing over rocks and logs, and just plain abusing my gear to its limits. Simms is the only wader/boot manufacturer I've found that has anything that can hold up to what I do. My G4 waders have literally hundreds of miles on them in the past year, and are holding up just as well as the day I got them. My Rivershed boots I picked up at the same time have nearly as many miles on them, save a few trips where I opted for another sole, which I have boots from another company. With about 1/10 the mileage, I've had THREE pairs of boots from this other company fall apart on me.

Sorry this was so long, I just empathasize with the companies and customers both. I work for a company (Allen) and do warranty exchanges myself, so I know how challenging it can be sometimes. I've had my fair share of shortcomings and miscommunications in that dept for sure. I just wouldn't totally write them off because of it, because the next company has just as much chance of making the same mistake.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I am a gear wh0re of the highest order and Simms makes some fantastic stuff. That stuff also comes with a fantastically high price however and i object to paying that significantly higher price. Im like Fred in this regard, i will buy another brand at a fraction of the cost. My Redington waders have performed as well as can be expected and i could have 3 pairs for the price one a set of Simms best.

I havent had to deal with CS from anything but fly rod companies at this point. I broke the top 3" off my Sage. I sent it back and within a month i had it back good as new.

I know Simms is a premier brand in our hobby, hopefully your experience was just a fluke.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I am a gear wh0re of the highest order and Simms makes some fantastic stuff. That stuff also comes with a fantastically high price however and i object to paying that significantly higher price. Im like Fred in this regard, i will buy another brand at a fraction of the cost. My Redington waders have performed as well as can be expected and i could have 3 pairs for the price one a set of Simms best.

I havent had to deal with CS from anything but fly rod companies at this point. I broke the top 3" off my Sage. I sent it back and within a month i had it back good as new.

I know Simms is a premier brand in our hobby, hopefully your experience was just a fluke.
One thing to consider is that Simms is the only company building waders (and soon their jackets) in the USA. No other company does this. To stay price-competitive, Simms does have a few designs made overseas, but their GoreTex waders are all built in Bozeman, MT by hand. And the quality difference between those and imported waders is well worth the extra price if you can afford it.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

"I just wouldn't totally write them off because of it"

I think there products are great and the best, I don't like the lack of communication on there part. There not the only ones I've had a lack of communication with in the past but what can you do when someone has something of yours or you've paid for a product online and they are slow. I won't be sending them back unless there is a major malfunction.