The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Simms customer service

Finally got my waders back yesterday. They fixed a bunch of pin holes. I only fixed the ones where I noticed there was water on my clothes. I appreciate the fact that they would check them out for free being it was my one year free inspection but my main complaint about the whole thing was THERE LACK OF COMMUNICATION. If anyone has any questions when you send something in, just call them. I got no response using there email, so I called. I paid a lot of money for those waders and didn't even know if they had been lost in the mail or when they had even been sent back. Total of 19 days from sending and receiving themback. I didn't care about the time frame only the fact I didn't know anything till I called them. Call if you have questions.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simms customer service

Good to hear that Simms repaired your waders. It doesn't surprise me that you didn't get a response from email, I've found that to be pretty common on big companies. If you want a response, give them a phone call.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Companies are now monitoring tweets. Use that method to complain to all your friends. You are more likely to get a reply.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

JCW,

I believe there may have been some changes in the warranty & repair department. A year ago I could call and speak directly with the 'manager' of that dept. Now I am told by the lady who answers the phone that "there are only 2 persons who are working in the repairs dept. She went on to tell me that the person I was asking for is one of them. I left several voice messages on this fellows voice mail system but have never gotten a reply on those calls. I take this to mean that the guy who was at one time free to take calls is now a laborer on the line.

Although I don't like to see the forum used as a bashing board when someone is less than satisfied with a product or service, I believe that if we begin to gather a multitude of similar complaints it will be time to act as a group.

Acting as a group is not as easy as grousing about something. We would have to determine who to address letters to (I'm talking about real hard copy documents here) and then to have an orchestrated mailing so that all letters of concern and complaint reach the office in question in close proximity of one another. Now, if this sounds like something that could gather support if and when we had more posts regarding dissatisfaction with a company I would be more than willing to join in the campaign. I am old fashioned and I truly believe that when 'letters' like I describe here begin to arrive physically on someones desk they represent much more than a "Tweet". Letters represent people who are upset enough to complain the old fashioned way and such people do get attention in my experience.

Let's see how many voices weigh in on this before we assume that our leading provider of expensive waders has somewhat dropped the ball.

I will watch the thread to see who else is having difficulties of this type.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I've heard lots of great stories of simms customer service on the internet.
I wish I could report mine with the same glowing loyalty.

I sent them a pair of well worn (out?) waders hoping there was a chance they could squeeze some more life into them.
About two weeks later I saw I missed a call and had a voicemail that someone from simms wanted to talk to me about my waders. It took another 2 weeks of me calling, emailing and filing comments through the website before I could get someone to call me back and tell me they couldn't actually help me but would gladly chuck (or recycle maybe?) my waders for me.
I said hell no send em back (they showed up with a shiny new simms catalog) and patched them myself and got another month out of them and retired to backups.

I wasn't disappointed that they couldn't fix them but did feel a little let down by the lack of communication and how slow everything took. When it came time to replace the waders I decided to vote with my wallet and try a different non-simms option and I have been happy.

I figure my experience wasn't the norm since Simms doesn't seem to have trouble selling all the 700 dollar waders they can make.
The other high end company I have dealt with (Patagonia) was a completely different experience and as a result I will gladly spend my money on their products when I feel like I can afford it.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Simms has made plenty of money off of me since I started into fly fishing. Waders, vest and boots for me and boots for my daughter and son in law. I've been considering waders for my daughter but after this will be looking at other products and reading reviews.
I was also told the samething about only 2 people working in repairs. Maybe it's true maybe not. I just know I can't make excuses all the time when doing my job, I wouldn't have one. Keeping customers happy keeps them coming back.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you,

Although there are lots of dissenting comments made about the Orvis Company I believe most of it comes from the fact that they use a lot of off shore providers for their retail items. I will say unequivocally, that I have never been left in the lurch by Orvis. I have been buying from them since 1979 and I have no complaints at all.

I have waders, boots, and my wifes boots are all from Simms. Thats a quick 750 + dollars and I was considering a jacket this year...............
Davo likes this.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have no inside knowledge but I will say that when customer service starts to wane, it can mean underlying financial problems for the company.

Since Simms is privately held, there is no way to tell. They could be cutting back on customer service to make their bottom line look better for a sale.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Administrator

I sent my waders back for a 2 year check up and put a delivery confirmation on the partial. It was delivered on March 2, or there abouts. I am not in panic mode here but after 2 weeks I did make 3 calls to see if I could keep track of what was happening.

My concern stemmed from the fact that I was requesting the neoprene booties be replaced with a slightly larger foot. Because of this I wanted to see if I could ascertain the progress. It is always disturbing when you leave voice mail on several occasions and receive no replies................

So far it looks as if JCW and I are isolated incidents of disgruntled customers.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I sent my waders back for a 2 year check up and put a delivery confirmation on the partial. It was delivered on March 2, or there abouts. I am not in panic mode here but after 2 weeks I did make 3 calls to see if I could keep track of what was happening.

My concern stemmed from the fact that I was requesting the neoprene booties be replaced with a slightly larger foot. Because of this I wanted to see if I could ascertain the progress. It is always disturbing when you leave voice mail on several occasions and receive no replies................

So far it looks as if JCW and I are isolated incidents of disgruntled customers.

Not just you two. Although it's not stopping me from most likely buying another pair of simms wading boots.

On the flip side I emailed Justin@Allen with a warranty question and I got a helpful answer in under 20 minutes! Hard to not sound like a shill after service like that.

I'll keep buying Simms gear when I can justify it. The quality is definitely there but it seems like Simms is a company that has built a reputation on CS and dealer network. One specific recent business decisions makes you worry they have strayed from those roots. More power to them I suppose, the mighty dollar speaks loudest, especially in this economy.

Steelheader's Anonymous.

Last edited by siskiyoublues; 04-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.