The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road
Default Fall Lake Fishing for Trout

I just went to the lake I dock my boat at to take it out of the water today. It's not a fishing boat, it's a recreational boat. As I was bringing it over to the public launch to load it up on the trailer, I saw 5 or 6 guys shore fishing, and noticed more boats on the lake than I ever would have imagined in October. It hit me that they just stocked the lake on Friday with trout. As I brought the boat near the dock, I saw several fish jumping literally out of the water. Some looked like some good size trout. As many of you know, I am new to fly fishing, and I have pretty much fished for bass since I got it. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can catch these fish on my fly rod? What type of fly do I use? Nymph, Dry, Streamer? Looked like most of the people fishing were using live bait and bobber. I just assume slit my wrist than bobber fish. One older guy that I talked to briefly had some kind of crazy rig with a clear float and 3 flies dropped behind it on a spinning reel setup. He said he didn't have any luck today, but yesterday with the same rig he caught about 10-15 fish in 2 hours. The lake I refer to is Harvey's Lake in northeast PA.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:26 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fall Lake Fishing for Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfin the Susquehanna View Post
Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can catch these fish on my fly rod?
Surfin... I would start with a wooly bugger in different colors, clear sinking fly line and and slow trolling. If you want to use your floating fly line, you could tie on a Royal Wulff dry fly and cast to the fish. If the fish are near the surface you could add a sinking tip and try retrieving a wooly bugger.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM

I have really only messed around with Bluegills in a smaller lake. Like I mentioned, most of my fly fishing has been in a river for bass. I want to learn the techniques to catch trout. I feel real good about where I am in skill level in river fishing for smallies. Oregon, I'll give your suggestions with the wooly buggers a try. I have several colors and many in the smaller size for trout. I also stopped by my local shop here and he sugested small caddis flys and he also gave me 2 streamers to try. He said his experience is they are either hit or miss. He said if they are active, these streamers will be lights out. We'll see, as I am going out Saturday morning. This is what it looks like.
Attachment 379
Attached Images
File Type: jpg royal_coachman_st.jpg (21.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-18-2007, 10:08 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

surfin... Have fun and good luck. As you know, the only way to learn how to catch fish is to go fishing!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 PM

Rough Weekend..... Took the boat back up to the lake Saturday morning and went out with such high hopes. The fish were jumping everywhere. Funny thing is, I didn't see a bug in the air. Don't know what the heck these fish were jumping for. They were coming clear out of the water. I tried every dry fly in my box. I tried wooly buggers, those thing I posted above, I even got desperate and threw a bobber and a worm out there while I was still fly fishing. Not a nibble. I was in a boat for 5 hours and caught 1 bluegill.... compliments of the bobber and worm.

I went back out to a stocked stream this morning(Sunday). I learned something today, I obviously need a lot of practice trout fishing. I fished from 8AM until 1 PM and caught 1 fish. My brother in law who I went with caught 3, using worms. I'll never tell him, but the fish I caught, I hooked him in the belly with a streamer, so apparently, I got lucky as hell and snagged him. Technically I got skunked. I started out with this thing.....
Attachment 380

Then I tried wooly buggers of all sorts. I hadn't tried a dry fly because there wasn't a bug in the air and I didn't see anything coming to the surface. I did try one once the sun came out, but nothing. I came across 5 other guys and they were not cathing anything either. 2 of them had fly setups as well.

With my limited skill level, the only way I could fish the tight stream was to cast up stream with the dry flies and retrieve them back. I casted around downed trees, every rock I could find, into and around every deep pool I could find and nothing.

I need some encouragment...LoL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg royal_coachman_st.jpg (21.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfin the Susquehanna View Post
Rough Weekend..... The fish were jumping everywhere. Funny thing is, I didn't see a bug in the air. Don't know what the heck these fish were jumping for. They were coming clear out of the water. ... I need some encouragment...LoL
The fish were probably going for emergers. This time of year you have ~4 possibilities in our region: midges, tricos, very small blue winged olives, or if you get lucky, white mayflies. Warning: I haven't fished our region for nearly 2 weeks so my prediction of the mix could be off a tad or even well off the mark--I suspect the white mayflies are now completely gone as they were on the sharp decline the last evening that I fished. Given what you described I would start tossing a hopper/dropper rig with a small pheasant tail (#18 or less), a small midge (#20-24, brown/off-white or black/gray), or a soft hackle such as a soft-hackle pheasant tail or a partridge and brown or partridge and orange (#16-18). If you are comfortable throwing a 3 nymph rig use a strike indicator over all three (pheasant tail or soft-hackle pheasant tail, partridge & orange or brown, and midge). Keep the dropper short so as to keep your nymph(s) near the surface where the fish are obviously looking. On a hopper/dropper rig I'd put the first nymph no more than ~12-18" behind the hopper. Two weeks ago in our area a wet light Cahill (#16) would draw many hits from trout looking for the white mayfly emergers, but as I mentioned, I suspect that hatch has completely passed us now. Right after the recent trout stocking the fish were nailing pheasant tails trailed near the surface. I don't know if the trout saw the pheasant tail as an emerger or saw a brown blob reminiscent of Purina Aquamax 600 (trout pellet), but either way it worked quite well.

The other option would be to pull a light colored streamer on or near the surface imitating a minnow chasing the emergers.

Good luck to you.