The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM

fish_4_all is on a distinguished road
Default Reel figured out, now which lines?

Here is what I will be fishing:
I think I have this figured out: Low water summer run steelhead in summer so I think WF/F is likely my choice. Maybe DT but only if I get some serious feedback that it is better for larger flies and all around floating applications. Not many of the flies I use will be weighted very much if at all.

Bigger problem: Fishing 10-20 feet deep in slower flowing water for Coho and Chinook salmon. I am leaning toward Cortland 333 or 444 line but I need to get down deep for Chinook almost at all times. The pools are slower flowing but even a quarter upstream cast only gives me about 4-6 seconds or so until the line hits the deep pool right over where the fish tend to lie. Would a sinking tip even be an option with a floating line in those situations?

Will a sinking line continue to sink if the line is downstream of my? Does it depend on the sink rate? Depend more on flow rates of the water? I do not plan on using any added weight except for the weight of the fly unless it is the ONLY way to get a fly that deep in flowing water.

8 wt fly rod so 8wt fly line.

I know I don't know a lot about it so anything that I have left out please let me know and I will try to answer best I can.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel figured out, now which lines?

I'm thinking shooting head. For most 8 weights, use a 300 grain head with an intermediate shooting line. Get various heads with different sink rates. I am thinking that you will need to use a type 6 or type 8 head to hit that depth.

See your local fly shop for more details.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 AM

Have to ask here, no local shops and only 2 people I know of that fly fish for salmon and steelhead, one I think fishes for Chinook once in a while. I don't know either one personally.

Type 6, that's 6-7 ips right? And here I was thinking a type 3 might be a little too much. Floating line is so much easier. The number is that number and up one for the sink rate? Or does it change as you go higher numbered?

Going to have to research heads for fly lines and sink rates for them. At least I have plenty to learn still, hopefully some it will sink in.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 PM

blueline is on a distinguished road

for steelhead you could go with WF/F or a shooting head, you may even get away with just a sinking leader on WF/F

for the deeper depth deffinatly a 300 + full sink line

sound like fun
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The reality is that you have to get down 10 to 20 feet deep. A 30 foot long shooting head will work perfectly. You just have to figure out the sink rate. You can use a floating line. But you will need a really long leader to get down. You can use a sinking leader. You might get the depth with the densest polyleader, but you will have to manage 12 feet of that plus 3 to 5 feet of tippet.

Trust me. Fill a wallet with different density shooting heads. You will play the depth game very efficiently.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 AM

300 grain shooting, 30 foot shooting head, a variety to match water flow and depth, got it. HAHA, just a steep learning curve for me.

Will definitely be getting a sinking line for deep fishing. Floating line and handling that much leader with tippet and not knowing much more than a roll cast and standard cast I am not gonna change things up too much.

Cortland 333 WF/SIII line has a 3.5-4 IPS sink rate. LC-13 has an 8.75 IPS sink rate sinking tip line.

Will someone explain how this works? 30' of shooting line sinks at 8.75 combined with the 3.5-4 for the sinking line for about 12.5 IPS sink rate?

What happens to sink rates if you use half the shooting line? Cut it's rate by 1/2 and add the sinking lines rate to that?

Is it as easy as that or is it get the lines, go the river and fish and figure it out for yourself? every spot will have it's idiosyncrasies and flow rates change all the time in fall so better to have the variety just to be prepared?