The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 PM

nmmay33 is on a distinguished road
Default Trasportation

Right now, when I drive to the river, I have my rod taken apart and put in a case that holds the rod and reel. Now, I drive a Silverado, so it would be hard for me to carry my rods assembled and all tied up. But, it would be nice to arrive at the river with my first fly set up already tied up and ready to go.

Does anyone travel with their rods already put together, or do you just get everything all set up when you get there?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a set up that would allow me to carry my rods assembled without worrying about them getting damaged on the way to the river?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Trasportation

The only 2 rods I've seen broken since 1978 were not in their tubes, prior to that I broke 1 while in use and 1 that was run over by a car. That may not be an easy answer but it is true, rods that are left out of the protective tubes on a regular basis get broken. I know how long it takes to put rods together but I also know that a broken rod is a bummer of tremendous proportions. Many of my rods are not replaceable so I keep them safe. Check the data here; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ory-added.html

If I am going to a nearby creek or river I use the rack below. It is handy when moving from river to river also as long as you are not going to travel on highways. When you carry rods like this you do not forget that your rod is not in the tube.

Ard

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I have 4 piece rods. I carry them in 2 piece tubes with reel holders. I break them in half and they fit in the case. Reels on, fly docked on the little fly holder. All I do is release the fly, put the 2 sections together and the rod is ready to go. I store them under the back seat of my Silverado.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 PM

nmmay33 is on a distinguished road

I am definitely more interested in not breaking a rod than I am in saving time, so I will just keep on breaking them down. But, I will take that 4 piece in a two piece case suggestion.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I failed to mention the cases that are made for exactly this purpose. The name DB Dunn comes to mind and I've seen them in most stores that sell fly fishing tackle, even Wal Mart. This would protect your rods and save you some time.

I use a variation on this theme when I fish using my bicycle for transport along the streams. I break the rod in 2, stuff it into the rod cloth and slide it into the vertical tube you see in the picture on the front axle & fork. Then I wrap the reel with a neoprene case and travel to my next area. Same idea, rod and reel are both safe while I drive the bike. Where there's a will, there's a way

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The only 2 rods I've seen broken since 1978 were not in their tubes, prior to that I broke 1 while in use and 1 that was run over by a car. That may not be an easy answer but it is true, rods that are left out of the protective tubes on a regular basis get broken. I know how long it takes to put rods together but I also know that a broken rod is a bummer of tremendous proportions. Many of my rods are not replaceable so I keep them safe. Check the data here; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ory-added.html

If I am going to a nearby creek or river I use the rack below. It is handy when moving from river to river also as long as you are not going to travel on highways. When you carry rods like this you do not forget that your rod is not in the tube.

Ard

i've been thinking about one of those for awhile. looks like a slick setup
would it be suitable for say a 25 mile drive?

casey

ARFE
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I've driven 40 or more miles at times here and while I lived down east Casey, the thing is that you don't want to get going at 65 or better with your toys riding on the hood for too long. For short jaunts it's the ticket.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

yep, i'm sold.....new dent in the old bank account for the fly fishing disease

casey

note- ard, i would not have pinned you for a yellow pickup guy, but i really like it

ARFE
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Hey Casey, There's a thread on here with photos of a low-buck carrier I made for about 5 bucks.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Hey Casey, There's a thread on here with photos of a low-buck carrier I made for about 5 bucks.
thanks, i'll look for it

casey

ARFE