The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Any experience with Playa del Carmen/Cancun? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/260435-any-experience-playa-del-carmen-cancun.html)

tbblom 04-02-2012 01:28 PM

Any experience with Playa del Carmen/Cancun?

I will be heading to Playa Del Carmen, Cancun for a wedding in mid-June. I will not have money for the local guides (~$400 full day), but I will be taking an 11wt saltwater setup (may be too heavy, but I'd rather be ready for whatever!)

Supposedly kayaks are available at the resort, and I presume that some exploring for flats or mangroves can be done. I found one site that says that "bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook, snapper, barracuda, and jacks" can be found.
Of course I will just be poking around hoping to find something on my own...

Any ideas about places to hunt?
Should I just shore fish outside the resort?
Good flies to tie for the area?

Wish I had the money for a guide, but the whole trip is a stretch.
Thanks in advance!
TB

tbblom 04-03-2012 09:16 AM

Re: Any experience with Playa del Carmen/Cancun?

jeez, I must sound like a dirtbag! no responses...

Looks like if I can sucker a few of the other wedding guests out, I can get a chartered trip down to about $150/person. Or I will be kayaking around looking for fish in the flats around riviera maya.

Anyone? Anyone? Flies? Beuler?

dhayden 04-03-2012 09:57 AM

I've been to Playa Del Carmen a few times.. never fished though, just snorkeling and sigh seeing

I've seen TV shows fishing down that way though

Rip Tide 04-03-2012 10:05 AM

I've never been there, but always enjoyed these two stories from Jack Gartside

The Circus at the End of the World
The Great Bonefish Giveaway: Page 1

Quote:

on a Gartside expedition, one survives on one's own skills, going fishless if necessary. Hiring a guide is considered both decadent and an admission of failure — akin to having a pizza delivered while scaling Mount Everest.

theboz 04-03-2012 10:13 AM

Been to Cancun . Fished the beach up from my hotel. Plenty of action and info from locals(as long as you give them fish). No need for an 11wt . 8wt or 9 is fine. Rent a quad if you can . Lot of fishing opportunities to explore. Have fun!

mrfzx 04-03-2012 11:00 AM

I spent my honeymoon there...at the Riu Palace Resort, but was too busy to fish. Sorry, I'm no help.

tbblom 04-04-2012 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=Rip Tide;425870]I've never been there, but always enjoyed these two stories from Jack Gartside

"on a Gartside expedition, one survives on one's own skills, going fishless if necessary. Hiring a guide is considered both decadent and an admission of failure akin to having a pizza delivered while scaling Mount Everest."

well, I'll admit, I've always kind of felt that way in regards to hiring a guide (never hired anyone before, mostly self taught). I believe I will be doing some kayak and surf hunting, and I have most of a week on my own to do that... so maybe I'll figure out a thing or two on my own.
Although, given my being a saltwater flyrod 'virgin', it might be worth paying someone to show me around for a few hours early in the week.

Sounds like june in Cancun will produce just about every species of flats fish one could desire. I like the rental quad idea, that could be a blast!

milt spawn 04-04-2012 12:48 PM

I like the dirtbag approach, it works for me! Just brush up on the Espanol, promise to bring in some dinner fish, and you'll find something. Wish I could go, sounds like fun. milt.