The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Fish pictures: How to help minimize stress on the fish

Sasha, nice stuff.
I think it should be a F&G violation to lay a fish on the bank/rocks for a photo.
Harsh, I know, but multiply the abuse by thousands of beginners/masters, and the fishery suffers.
Grown very fond of my clear net, as it doesn't spook fish as badly, and may be easier on fish than mesh. With larger fish, make an OK sign with fingers around the wrist (just above the tail) like hand cuffs. Then support them underneath the tummy/gill area.
No, squish grip needed.
My camera is on a retractor, turned on, I leave the fish in the water and shoot with a waterproof camera. As long as their gills stay in the water they are good to go.
I say, take care of your fishery, and it will take care of you.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

That camera, believe it or not, is a simple waterproof point-and-shoot. It's the Pentax Optio WS80 and it takes some phenominal pics both above and below the water. Here's a cool one of a Cutt both above the water and then under the water taken with this camera. Look at Amazon.com for deals on this camera. I've seen it as low as $85 bucks.

Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Kelly, wow!!!!!
Sweetness with fins.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 07-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Some good advise and nice photos. It shows there is no reason to beach a fish just to take a picture.

When I was in Alaska the Fish and Game recommended that you not wet your hand before picking up a fish. It was in the regulations booklet. Their reasoning was you would have a better grip on the fish and make it easier to handle. I never agreed with that thought and Alaska was the only place I have run into those directions. The method that is show is these photos have given me the best results with Trout and Grayling.

Frank
Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Glad everybody likes the post. Maybe I should clean it up a bit and a mod can make it a sticky
Old 07-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

This is a good thread. Sasha has pointed out things all of us should continue to be mindful of.

I acquired my first flyrod 60 years, ten days, four hours, and ten minutes (give or take a couple of hours) ago...from my grandfather. I still have the rod and his creel. Though I've used the rod a multitude of times, the creel gets no use anymore.

I don't remember when I stopped handling fish to release them, and because I fish alone much of the time I don't bother with photos. It's not that I wouldn't like to record a fish or two; I'm lazy, and, probably more important, I want to release the fish ASAP.

I carry a little homemade device. It's a large wine cork with a steel rod inserted through it end-wise. On one end is a loop so that I can attach it to my vest. The other end has a curve back almost to the point of touching itself and the tip has been rounded off. The cork gives it flotation in the event that my clumsy fingers (think winter steelhead runs) drop it in the water.

I can bring a fish to reel, hold the rod up high enough to allow me to reach the fish with my 'device'. I hook the leader/tippet with the curved end, run it down to the fly, twist up, fish swims away. I never touch the fish.

Devices like this are available in fly shops. I find them rather handy.

I do think, however, that the method Sasha describes of wetting your hands is fine. My method is just an alternative.

Allen R

P.S. I sure like this forum and the prevailing civility in discussions.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Flywgn, sounds like you're the kind of guy folks would fish with. Is the lack of company due to the heinous fishing schedule you follow? I too fish unaccompanined mostly, and understand not taking pictures. Just get'em back in the water.
The catch and release tools are great for treating the fish kindly. The less we touch the better. Wet hands or no.

"Take care of your fishery, and it will take care of you."

Jim

Bigfly
Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Yes to handle or not handle a fish is a question we each have to answer for ourselves. Personally I enjoy writing about my fishing adventures almost as much as I enjoy being there. So naturally fish pics play a part in doing that. My main intent for this thread was to help educate people.

I also fish solo a lot of the times. However I am starting to take my 4year old on some of my less "crazy" trips. Hopefully he will enjoy his time on the water and pick up fly fishing. I on the other hand had no fly fishers in my family. I waited until my late father-in-law gave me **** about spin fishing to start. My wife said to me the other week "Too bad my Dad is not around still to see the monster that he created". Man I wish I would have started years ago; this is one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done.

Last edited by Sasha; 01-17-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

I don't particularly like to eat trout, and I don't like harming any animal. I also fish exclusively in stillwater.

When I catch a fish I get them in as quickly as I can, and if it's a smaller (12" or less) fish I will just run my hand down the tippet to the hook, tip the hook until it comes out and let the critter go.

For bigger fish I use my MeasureNet with the optional rubberized net bag. I leave the fish in the net bag in the water and usually they'll shake the hook out if the line is slack.

If not, I grasp the fish by putting my hand on the outside of the net and turn them belly up. That usually causes them to stop struggling and I can get the hook out. Then I right them and kind of swish the net gently back and forth until they start struggling again, and I submerge the net basket and let them swim off.

I try never to touch the fish at all with bare hands, and as some others have stated here, I seldom take a picture... my priority is to get the fish free and healthy as quickly as possible.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In the not that distant past I always carried an instamatic or a disposable camera in my vest. For me, it would take years before I used up the 12 or so exposures before I could develop the film and by that time I'd forget what was on the film and just throw it in a drawer, never again to see the light of day.
Today, I don't even carry a camera. Mostly because I don't see the point of recording every little dink fish that i catch and the ones that count I'm far too busy returning them back too the water to live another day to bother.

I've been long embarrassed by this picture that I posted here a couple of years ago.
Even though the fish was only out of the water for less than 5 seconds, an extreme amount of pressure was but on the fishes' jaw just to take the picture
I'm normally not that disrespectful to my fishy friends and intend not make the same mistake again