The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 PM

big_bass is on a distinguished road
Default 6 wt rod - how Lite or heavy should reel be

I have a St. Croix Legend Ultra 6wt 9' 4pc rod.
I am looking at reels.

I see most upper end reels in the $300 - $400 range are in the 4.5oz range.
The world is gong lite. Is this easier on your wrist & arm?

The Lamson Guru G2 is 4.6 oz - is that too lite?
The other reel is the Allen & Co. Alpha 5/6 at 5.65 oz.

What is a good weight reel to mach up to the 6wt Legend Ultra?

BTW; I am also looking for a reel for my St Croix Legend Ultra 8wt 9' 4pc.
the Alpha 7/8 is 6oz
& most other reels I am looking at are in the 5 to 5.5oz range.

You thoughts please.
Also other reels I shoould look at ( in the $150 & under)
Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 wt rod - how Lite or heavy should reel be

Here's how I do it.

Put the reel on the rod (loaded with backing/line), pull the line out through the tip top, look at the balance. If the rod balances right where your thumb, index finger and middle finger hit the rod (holding the rod as you would for fishing), then the balance is right. Now, if more that one reel fills that bill, then the choice is up to you.

Frankly, most reels on the market today will provide all of the essential features that most fishermen will need to hook, manage and land fish; especially if you're going after trout with that 6 wt.

Both of the reels that you mention have good reputations. I think that the Lamson Guru is a fine looking and performing reel. I have no experience with the Allen products; although the reports posted to this forum have been very favorable.

Pocono
Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I have a 6 wt avid and I have a Ross Evolution 3 and a Lamson Litespeed 2 both balance the rod out well.

Last edited by Tracker12; 07-12-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Tracker12
Do you think a 5.5oz reel would be too heavy?
If I have it right, your reels are in the 4oz range?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've swung that very rod a few times. It's a fine rod, but feels a bit more tip heavy than a Sage Z-Axis (for example). A slightly heavier rod might be fine for balancing, but I always go for the lightest reel possible...but's that's just me.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I'm with Frank on this one. I like a light reels. Don't forget the backing and line make a difference so make sure you balance the set up with the reel loaded up.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

The reel I fish most often on my 9' 6wt is a J Ryall #6 that weighs about 5.5 oz.This balances nicely with the rod.I also use a Hardy Princess but its quite a bit lighter and it is noticeably more tip heavy.I suggest you try several reels and see what you like.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Big Bass, I have owned and fished Ross reels, Redington reels and they are pretty good reels but sinc I started using Allen reels, I find them to be better...not lighter by just a few tenths of an ounce but the drag is better. The right/left hand retreival is easier to swap and the price is about a 3rd of what you would pay for a Ross. The quality is really unbelievable for the money. Justin is a very approachable guy if you have questions.

Seriously the reel is incredible, his flyline is remarkable for 14 bucks.

If you want to try an Allen before buying PM me and I'll send you one to try.

Best Regards, Boser
Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM

boser & all...

Yes I am torn between a sub 5oz reel & saving a few bucks. But the Allen & Co reels are getting quite interesting reviews. They seem to be in a class of their own at the $105 price range. Not to mention Justin offering the Alpha at $60.

So, late today, after reading a good bit & having spoke by phone with Justin Sunday night, I have a couple Allen & Co Alpha reels on order. The 5/6 for the Ultra 6wt & the Alpha 7/8 for my Ultra 8wt.

The 5/6 is all of 5 1/2 oz & the 7/8 comes in at 6oz.

How can I not take a shot at the Alpha's with all the positive reviews out there? Not to mention I am getting 2 reels for less then 1/2 (if not 1/3) the cost of what I was going to spend for just one reel.

I'll let you know in a week how things balance out (& without breaking the bank).
Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

BB, I just recieved a new 5/7 wt TROUT series today and man is that reel sweet. It has a little larger arbor and the drag knob is larger with more serated edges to allow better traction with the wet fingers. I have Allen Alpha in 3,5 and they have worked flawlessly. I am pretty sure you could not buy more reel for the money...let us know what you think of those reel once you take ownership and get some use outta them...
Best Regards, Boser