The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Cleaning your Rod/Reel?

When I first started fly fishing I didn't realize that the rods/reels must be cleaned every so often. I just wanna make sure I'am doing everything right. Ok well I don't have ferrule wax so I have been just using a paper towel spray some Car leather cleaner (Black Magic) on and actually been cleaning both section's of my rod than I use a dry paper towel to whip dry (My rod does pull's apart wonderfully after the car cleaner). Now cleaning my fly line, I get a bucket fill it about quarter way luke warm water I use maybe few squirts on dish washing soap I strip only the line that I been using for a few day's since some water I fish is dirty I clean my line about every 2 outings. Now I let my line soak in the water for about 30mins sometime's more. When time is up I toss my line in the clear warm water bucket wash out the other bucket I whip it clean. Now I use a clean soft cloth and strip my line in between the cloth getting off the extra dirt (I don't have line dressing), after I'am done I just reel in the line back into the spool. I have only been fly fishing for 5months, is anyone that could add more info? I'am doing everything decent? How do you guy's do it?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Cleaning your Rod/Reel?

Hi Angelo,

While being attentive to cleaning does keep one engaged with your equipment when you're not out fishing I don't do this as often as you describe. I also am not fishing where you are so you may be doing right by keeping things clean. I don't use any type of compounds to wipe off a rod though, just a soft cloth if I've been fishing in really silted waters. When fishing those glacial rivers I do wipe my line after a day of it.

I'll be responding to your PM very soon,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Angelo, The point of waxing your ferrules is to keep the sections from separating while casting rather than to make them easier to come apart
A little car cleaner isn't going to hurt though, many people wax their rods with Pledge type furniture polish

I clean my lines pretty much like you describe, except I do it right in the kitchen sink, just as if I was doing the dishes (often at the same time )
Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Ard take your time. Guess I'am doing just fine than
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Since I am sort of neurotic too I will ocasionally take pledge and soft rag to the rods them selves just to shine them up. I also will take a washcloth soak it then lightlyrub some softscrub on the cork and that takes all the hand/fish oil off the cork keeping it new looking.

I have actually bought a few used rods that on a 1-10 look like a 6 then get them home clean the rod as above and all of a sudden they look like a "9"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I have been using the line treatment wax I use on my line. I wipe the rod and connections down and pay more attention to the fuerrels to help esure smooth shooting. I fish creek and small ponds, I do notice things get much messier after being in the ponds.
Mike