The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about
Default What's a good digital scale for weighing fish?

I want to get one that is or can be IGFA certified. What do you recommend?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's a good digital scale for weighing fish?

Bogs grip is your best choice for IGFA certification. Cost to certify is $30 and Bogas don't fail certification. You can get a knockoff but risk failing.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Shane,

Sorry, I don't know about digital scales.

For fish to 60 lbs you can get boga grips pre-igfa certified for 35$ extra from here:

Boga-Grip "The Ultimate Fish Handling Tool" If you click on the "order now" it will go to the price list.

That will save shipping to and from the IGFA (less 5$) and a lot of hassle and time.

In case you don't know, fish can be weighed only if the person holding the scale and fish is standing on solid ground. Standing in the water (ie on the flats) is acceptable to them. You CANNOT weight them while standing in a boat, but can take the measurements on a boat deck etc. You must now use the IGFA measuring tape.

The requirements for weighing or even measuring large fish, such as tarpon, pretty much precludes a live release for them.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 AM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the help, guys. I may end up getting a Boga, but I found a digital scale that measures to the ounce that is reputed to be accurate. I'm gonna check it. If it appears to be accurate, then I'll ssend it in for certification. If not, I'll get a Boga.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Shane,

What's the name ofl the digital scale you found? I was looking for one myself with closer resolution than the boga in the up to 20 lb range, but couldn't find anything despite quite a bit of time searching.

Thanks,
Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Shane,

What's the name ofl the digital scale you found? I was looking for one myself with closer resolution than the boga in the up to 20 lb range, but couldn't find anything despite quite a bit of time searching.

Thanks,
I bought this one at Academy. I haven't had time yet to check it on some known weights to see if it is accurate or not. It was cheap enough that I bought it anyway based on some good reviews I got from other fishing sites. Hopefully it is accurate and would be certifiable. If not, I'm not out too much $, and then I'll buy a Boga.

Academy - Berkley® 50 lb. Digital Fish Scale
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Thanks, Shane. I've been off the board a while and your rely escaped from me.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:49 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Had the same scale. Really looked it . Easy to read easy to carry. Sent it for certification it failed. More than 3oz increments off. Must be the Berkley thing. Had the same problem with a Berkley tippet testing way over label breaking strength. Hope you have better luck than I did.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-12-2014, 12:17 AM

jacob22 is on a distinguished road

Any hanging scale which is a digital one is enough for getting accurate measurement of your fish. And try to find one on amazon because there is a range of digital hanging scale with affordable price and many features that you need.

Last edited by jacob22; 03-15-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 AM

kristina878 is on a distinguished road

I am here to introduce my weighing scale which is Reuben Heaton, FlyWeight MK2 brand and i have 400 units of this weighing scale.

Any one interested can contact me.
Price is 5$. but price and quantity is negotiable.

My Email id is: gadgets@galaxy-services.co.uk

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can also view the youtube video at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D7J1oTdy1Q

Last edited by kristina878; 07-04-2014 at 02:00 AM.