The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Backing

Hi Guys
I just picked up a used Teton Reel with an 8 wt shooting head setup at a garage sale. The reel & line are in good condition but I probably will take off the shooting line. The Question is .... He had that Nylon Braid " Spider Wire Line" for Backing. I plan on using this for Bonefishing in a few weeks & I'm wondering if I should leave the spider wire line on or is it safer to replace it.
You guys are great & have answered a lot of questions for me in the past so here's one more...
Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Backing

My answer may sound like one from a politician: Taking that backing off would definitely be safer, but you might want to leave it on.

Reasons to take it off and replace it with regular dacron-type backing: The spiderwire stuff is so strong, if it gets looped around your finger while the fish is running, it actually can lop off a finger. (picture a superheated wire cutting plastic or something like that) The stuff also seems a little more prone to digging down into itself than standard backing, but with some care, this can be pretty fully avoided.

Reasons to leave it on there: There is no other way to get the maximum backing length capacity on a given fly reel. If you are going to be after huge bones wading on foot, having as much backing as possible might be wise. Some would say that 100 yds of backing is plenty for bones, I would say 150 yds is a pretty safe amount to have to work with. However, if you hook into a Permit, a Jack, or something else large with that 8wt rod, 150 yds may get you nothing more than cussing and frustration.

So, its your call.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FISHN50,

I think you will like that TIOGA reel. The backing could be a problem unless you know for sure what is on the reel. Make sure the backing is braided and not fused. You do not want it to be too small in diameter. The Super Braids are made from Spectra® Fiber and not nylon. It should be at least 30lb and could be as much as 50lb. The smaller diameter of the Super Braids contributes to its ability to cut you. You have to be careful with your knots. The material is very slick and the knots will slip if not tied correctly. If you tie a uni knot with 5 wraps of mono you may need 9 or 10 wraps with super braid. This is one application where a dab of Knot-Sense or Super Glue may be appropriate if your knots slip.

One problem of keeping the backing on the reel is you don't know what you have. I would take a piece down to Wal Mart and compare it to the lines there. Match up the diameter of a similar line and that will tell you what weight the line is.

You need to be aware of the safety aspects of using a Super Braid. If you are careless it will cut you like a knife. When playing a fish you should be on the reel by the time you get into your backing. You should keep playing the fish from the reel and don't try to strip in or grab the backing by hand. Other than that it is great line with no stretch.

Frank
Old 10-22-2007, 07:15 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Make sure it's not fused as frank says...how to find out take a small piece see if you can split the parallel strands with a needle after scraping off the coating that are fused if so lose... it if not mike it and compare diameter with spectra line specs...you should use 50 or 65 spectra
you do not need more than 150-200 yds

what teton model have you regular or tioga? and what size?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:20 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Just saw you are going bonefishing...well your are probably going to spend 1000 to 2000 on the trip if so get new backing 65 lb spectra set the drag at 1.5 lbs
don't save 20 bucks on backing also IMHO use RIO's bonefish floating 0r cortland 444 tropic plus
Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I'ld leave it if it isn't brittle, check the flex and go from there.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"