The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BigCliff
  • 3 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default setting the hook with glass

I purchased a new rod this spring custom made with a 6'6" Lamiglas 3wt blank.
Definitely a slow action - full flex rod! I think it would cast a 2wt line easily, but since all I have is wf3f lines I'm using 3wt on it.

I've been having problems with hook setting. I try to keep the rod tip close to the water and strip-set the hook when possible, but this isn't always the way it works out.
I'm gradually improving on my ratio, but it is a slow learning process for me.

I did catch a few nice 'gills this morning after several got off. The old habits developed with long relatively stiff carbon rods are hard to break (the classic "Orvis" strike, and using the long rod as a lever to keep the line tight).

The glass sure is fun, though. The first surge by even a moderate sized 'gill feels like I've hooked a monster.

Ones like this (probably slightly over 8") make me think the cork is going to flex until it breaks -

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: setting the hook with glass

Yep, gills on light rods are extra fun. Sorry, but the only suggestion I have is the strip hook set.. I do think that some gills tend to short strike and there is no hook set that will snag them. When I am getting a lot of short strikes I go down in hook/fly size and my hookup ratio usually increased dramaticlly. Some flys don't have enough point gap to hook consistantly. Fly design can have a major effect on hookup. Good luck
Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think there's three more important factors to consider besides rod material:

The length of the lever you're using has a major affect on hook setting ability.

Your hooks may not be sharp enough. With a soft short rod, you need a sharper hook to get it to penetrate.

Ans lastly, you're talking about a fish with a blueberry sized mouth that's notorious for pecking at flies without really eating them. Learn to recognize the hits that are actual eats by bigger sunfish instead of pecks by dinks and you'll be less frustrated.
lancer09 likes this.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

.02 cents only.

Strip-pull and off to the side. A straight pull (and rod tip lift) will frequently pull the hook out due to lack of good point contact. Works the same for Steelhead.
mojo, caseywise and wannafish like this.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Went back this evening to see if it was me or the rod.
Same spot, same flies, but my 8'6" Ross 3wt rod.
Only a very slightly better hookup ratio with the longer, faster rod.

Guess I need to work on my technique. Sounds like a great reason (excuse?) to spend more time fishing.

I did get a variety of fish this evening, too. Bluegill, green sunfish, and crappie.
A variety of flies also worked. I used a "green weenie", a McGinty, and a PT nymph, all in size 12 or 14, and all worked equally well.

My favorite moment was when another fisherman showed up. He had a huge tackle box and a spinning outfit. He cast & cast, changed lures frequently, and never caught a thing.
All the time he was there I was catching a fish almost every cast. One of those brief periods when the fish seem to be in a feeding frenzy and will nail the fly as soon as it hits the water. (I was using a PT nymph at the time.)

I think he was frustrated, he didn't stay around long.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i tend to use a strip set at an angle as well.
i was actually hammerin gills this morning in a pretty steady cross wind and had a few wind assisted hook ups

ARFE
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Another .02 cents thing on why the strip pull works as well as it does .... it takes any slack you may have (line and leader) out of play. The line may look straight, but very hard to see any 'extra' in the leader.

fae
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

The best hookset tip is this: Sharpen your hooks if they don't snag your fingernail instantly.