The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: I found my second Rod/Line

Hi to All,

Cliff is right and the SA GPX WF line will take up more space due to its 1/2 line over weight.

Frank
Old 10-27-2007, 03:42 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to All,

Cliff is right and the SA GPX WF line will take up more space due to its 1/2 line over weight.

Frank
Guys,
The line I bought is the SA GPX DT4 in Optic Green. Apparently it's a discontinued line and I got it for $30. All the other GPX lines I see are $60 or better. Once again... looked like a great deal.

Frank,
Is this DT I ordered actually a 4 1/2 wight line? What effect will that have on a St Croix Reign rod, which by their rating is a Moderate/Fast action rod. Will I have a problem with the line overloading the rod, hence and struggling on the short casts? That's one thing I was looking to avoid. I want to be able to make a 30' cast nice and smooth without the recoil I expeience with my 6 wt. I am not very experienced with my casting, so I am looking for some forgiveness on the overpowering and backlash.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Surfin,

Yes, the GPX line is 1/2 weight over the designated size. It will slow the action of the rod slightly and it should help you with your short cast. I know you have been having problems with your casting and I don't know if a different rod is the solution. If you are overpowering your cast with one rod you probably will have the same problem with a different rod. The solution is to improve your casting stroke.

Now that I have said the above it is true that a slow or moderate action rod is easier to cast due to its slower action. They are also better at short cast because they don't need as much line weight to flex. With your GPX line it will load the rod better with less line out. The only way you will know for sure is to try your new setup. When buying any new rod the very best situation is to try the rod before you buy. If you can't do that then it can be a bit of hit or miss. I would try the Reign on the grass to see if it meets your requirement. If it doesn't I would return it.

The GPX is still being made but they have added a sealed loop on the end. I would bet your line does not have the loop. Still a great line.

Frank
Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

Gents,

When using a DT line and losing some backing capacity, could gel-spun backing (which takes up less space per foot) be part of the solution? What do you guys think of gel-spun in general? I've was told that under tension it can become very sharp and cut your fingers.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Burns, you were told right. I've not had a need for GSP backing because I tend to buy large/heavy reels for a given rod because I prefer how they balance. I also tend to fish longer rods, so a super light (small) reel isn't needed.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post

The GPX is still being made but they have added a sealed loop on the end. I would bet your line does not have the loop. Still a great line.

Frank
This is an interesting topic that I'd like to ask some opinions on. My existing fly line had no loop on the end. I took about 12 inches of Butt section from the first leader I tied on the line and tied it to the line with a Nail Knot and put a perfection loop at the end of the piece of butt. Now I tie a perfection loop on the butt of any new leaders I tie on and connect with a loop to loop connection.

Is this a common method? Are there better options out there? I dont like the idea of fiddling with a Nail Knot if I need to change leaders in the water. Whatcha think?

Jeff
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Hi Jeff,

Right or wrong that is the way I do it except I use a heavier piece of mono. The loop to loop is the best way I have found to fasten a leader. You can use a needle knot to tie the short section onto the fly line. It makes a little neater setup. You can also splice a loop on the end of the fly line. You can add a loop made of a braided material available from a fly shop. All of these methods work you just have to find the one you like the best.

Frank
Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else tried knotless connections? My 2 weight has a knotless connection (Dave Whitlock style) from my line to short piece of butt section, with the butt section looped on the end (non-slip mono loop) to a end-looped leader.

This method is quite unconventional and before I tried it I was skeptical, but I can't pull this type of connection apart with my hands as hard as I try. If you do a web search for "Dave Whitlock No Knot Connections Fly Fisherman" you can find an article in Fly Fisherman magazine with detailed illustrations on how this system works. One thing to be careful of - if done properly the Zap-a-Gap cures VERY fast.

Flame suit on.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Jeff,
Most all my reels/lines are set up that way. The shop I worked at in San Antonio used the same method, only we used a short section of 30lb red amnesia line for the butt section. It had the added benefit of serving as a strike indicator, if it was near enough to the surface to be seen.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Most all my reels/lines are set up that way. The shop I worked at in San Antonio used the same method, only we used a short section of 30lb red amnesia line for the butt section. It had the added benefit of serving as a strike indicator, if it was near enough to the surface to be seen.
Like Cliff, I use the red amnesia. It is stiff and works very well.

Frank