The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I found my second Rod/Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns View Post
Has anyone else tried knotless connections? My 2 weight has a knotless connection (Dave Whitlock style) from my line to short piece of butt section, with the butt section looped on the end (non-slip mono loop) to a end-looped leader.

This method is quite unconventional and before I tried it I was skeptical, but I can't pull this type of connection apart with my hands as hard as I try. If you do a web search for "Dave Whitlock No Knot Connections Fly Fisherman" you can find an article in Fly Fisherman magazine with detailed illustrations on how this system works. One thing to be careful of - if done properly the Zap-a-Gap cures VERY fast.

Flame suit on.
I was tempted to try it when I ran across one of his kits in an Orvis shop, but have since gone with the Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect system for connecting line and leader. As the leaders wear down, I use the butt section with the quick-connect to create my own hand-tied leaders. Saves beaucoup time on the water changing leaders or flies, and as a bonus, doesn't "hinge" during the cast as my loop-to-loops were prone to do.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

I'd like to comment on the SA GPX DT 4wt. versus the Cortland 333+ 6wt WF. I spooled up the 4wt on the same reel I had the 6wt. The 4wt, despite the double taper takes up about 20% less space than that of the 6wt. I have plenty of extra room with the same amount of Backing. Actually I just unspooled the 6wt onto a blank spool I have and attached the 4wt onto the same backing so there is no variance at all in the amount of backing. Just thought I'd post this since so many replies were passed around on the topic.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2007, 06:31 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

Jeff,

I'm glad it worked out for you. I like knowing that once my line is worn out I can turn it around - it's like getting 50% off the price of the line. Also, I roll cast quite a bit, and there is a slight advantage there. It makes sense to me that presentation would be a bit more delicate with a DT since the taper slims down near the end of the line. The drawbacks are less wind resistence and overall distance, but I rarely cast far enough for the distance advantage to matter much and if the wind is really bad I can just use a 6-weight. How is the line casting for you?

Fly2Fish,

I want to try that L2L, it looks like a solid system. It may be the way to go in my 4-weight. I really like the knotless connection in my 2-weight.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Burns,

What you say about using a DT makes a lot of sense - effectively half the cost, better roll casting (important to me with the streams I fish hampering a back cast) and lighter presentation.

Typically the S.A. L2L Reconnect Leaders I've seen run 9'. If I'm wanting a longer leader for spooky fish, I generally start with a leader size one or two "X" bigger than I want and then add tippit down to what I want to end up with, which gets the leader out to 12'. Conversely, if I want to go to, say, a 7 1/2' leader, I'll go lighter on the end tippit I want and cut back to that point. Don't know what stores you have in your area, but cheapest I've found is at Academy.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Glad you found a rod you like. Before plunking down cash for any line, I
would try a 4 & a 5 on it. Since it sounds like you are going to be making short casts, it may be that the rod does better with a 5 wt than a 4.
Doesn't work that way with all of them, but worth finding out about yours before you spend your money. Am confident you will enjoy fishing with a 4 wt rod, best of luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns View Post
Jeff,

I'm glad it worked out for you. I like knowing that once my line is worn out I can turn it around - it's like getting 50% off the price of the line. Also, I roll cast quite a bit, and there is a slight advantage there. It makes sense to me that presentation would be a bit more delicate with a DT since the taper slims down near the end of the line. The drawbacks are less wind resistence and overall distance, but I rarely cast far enough for the distance advantage to matter much and if the wind is really bad I can just use a 6-weight. How is the line casting for you?
Burns,
The new 4wt. rod with the GPX DT4 casts MUCH better that my 6wt with the Cortland 333+ line. Same exact brand rod (St Croix -Reign) so that should be pretty constant. The line is a lot easier to get to set down on the water and turn the leader over gently. I was out this weekend with it and despite getting skunked, I enjoyed casting it. I spent the majority of the time with Nymphs and streamers, but I also tied on a small dry to see how it casted despite nothing hatching at all this time of year where I live. I really never had a need to roll cast in the past, but with nearly no practice at it, was able to make a somewhat decent Roll cast about 50% of the time so I'm quite happy with the purchase.

Thanks for Askin',

Jeff