The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road
Default I found my second Rod/Line

I found a St Croix Reign 8ft 4wt 4 piece for $112. regular is $150 so I see it as a deal. I need to buy some 4wt line. I am all over the board here. Keep in mind I'm a beginner. My 6wt rod has Cortland 333 WF line which I could get for $30 in the 4wt variety. I am also looking at maybe spending some extra $$ on better line. My question is this... what are the advantages to spending $60 on line? Will it cast better for a beginner? Or is it like buying a $400 dollar driver as beginning golfer and expecting to hit it 300 yards down the middle?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 AM

burns is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I found my second Rod/Line

Surfin,

I don't know the answer to your question - but I love the golf analogy. I worked as a PGA Apprentice at a big course for a little over a year and I know exactly what you mean. You see guys out there who can barely make contact, walk in the pro shop and purchase drivers for $300-$400 thinking it's going to make them bomb it like a pro.

One thing to consider - with a DT (double taper) line, after the line wears out from use, you can literally turn it around and use the other end and get twice the line life for your dollar. I have a DT on my 2-weight and my next line for my 4-weight will likely be a DT. I will be likely to buy a nicer (more expensive) line, knowing I'll get more use out of it than a WF.

From what I understand, modern, good quality DT lines are comparable to WF lines in terms of castability. DT may have a slight edge in roll casting and delicacy of presentation. WF may have a slight advantage in distance.

Just something to consider.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:55 AM

That does help answer my question. I am not going to need great distance where I plan to use the 4wt. rod, and a delicate presentation is what I struggle with at times. I tend to still power the short cast a little too much and get backlash when I go to set the line down on the water. I think the double taper would be a great choice for me, and I never thought about reversing the line and getting a doublew bang for my buck. I cant Imagine I will catch anything where I will be fishing that is going to run the line out more than half way.

Once again, thanks for the insight.....
Old 10-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you don't need to cast far, will roll cast lots, and like the double-use line angle, a DT could be a great way to go. Keep in mind that it will take up more space on your reel than a WFF, so you likley won't be able to fit the same amount of backing on there.

In general, more expensive lines float better, have slicker coatings, and are less likely to have coil-y memory. The slicker coating can help them shoot better and thus cast longer distances, but if you're thinking a DT line is best, then this isn't really a consideration.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks Cliff, I always appreciate a reply to my questions.... I wasn't aware of the "space" issue when I was considering this. As I remember, the guy that originally set me up put 100 yards of backing on my reel and a spool of 90 feet of 6wt line on my existing setup. It was real tight fitting it all on the reel. It would actually just bump the guide when I reeled it all the way in to store it. I plan to use the same reel and load the second cartridge with the 4wt line. Is the 4wt double taper line "thicker" or "thinner" than the 6wt WF line? Just need to know how much backing to spool on. Like I said, I can't imagine hooking into anything that is going to run the line to the backing where I'll be fishing. I can't imagine I'll ever see the backing until I change the line, but I guess it still needs to be there just in case, and to enlarge the arbor a bit to make the line coil around a larger circumference.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Surfin,

The two pictures shows the construction of a WF and a DT. You can see that the WF has a running line that is smaller in diameter the the head of the line. The DT does not use a running line so even though both are 90' long the DT will take up quite a bit more space than a WF line. The belly of the DT line is the same diameter as the head of the line.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:14 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

A 4-weight DT has GOT to take up less space than a 6-weight WF, right?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Burns,

A DT line of the same size will usually take up about 50% more space than a WF. A DT 4wt would take about the same space as a WF 5WT. So yes, a DT 4WT would not take up as much space as a WF 6WT. This is mostly guess work as I have not experimented with this exact combination but I think it is close.

Frank
Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the posts Frank/Burns.... I'll let you guys know for sure once I get my stuff. My reel (as some of you might remember I dropped) is being repaired for a minimal cost and will be back to me on Monday, and my order of my rod and line should be here on Tuesday. I'll spool up 5 yards of backing + the line. I'll give you my perspective of the comparison between WF 6 and DT 4 with regard to the space it takes up on the reel.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I basically agree with Frank. I would say that a DT4F will take up no more, and most likely less space than a WF6F.

Keep in mind y'all that some WFF lines will take up more space than others. For example, a SA WF5F XPS line would take up less space than what they used to call a XDD or the distance taper in a WF5F. Long belly WFF lines take up considerably more room.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.