The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By tyler185

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:47 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default First browns of the year

I don't fish much during the off season aka the winter but the conditions have just been to good this spring here in the Northeast to not take advantage. I got out for a few hours on one of the rivers that is open year round to C&R trout here in Vermont. I ran a tandem nymph rig through a few runs with no luck so I went back to the car and strung together my 6wt to chuck some streamers.

I tied on this guy, fresh off the vise from this winter:
Click the image to open in full size.

I was using a sinking leader to help get the fly down and on the 5th or 6th cast, I had a nice brown flash at the fly but missed it. I threw the fly back in and he hammered it.

I was pretty pumped as this was my first brown of the year and I caught it on a fly I tied hoping it was going to work well.

I ended up getting back in the car and driving a mile or so down stream and fished another deep run. I worked it over fairly well with no results. I had been dead drifting it with small strip to give it a little movement and then letting it swing. I figured that would be the best bet with the water temps being the way they were. On my last cast I decided to just rip it across. And this guy came up and nailed the streamer...

There were a ton of small brown stones crawling around but it turned out I didn't need to match the hatch

Davo, madjoni, lancer09 and 2 others like this.

- Tyler

Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: First browns of the year

Nice fish, glad to hear you are making use of the good weather!! Thanks for sharing the photos and the experience!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Trout! I always think small meals when trout fishing, but those guys seem to have been hungry.

I don't know about Vermont, but we didn't have winter in PA this year...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Those are great fish & a testament to why I stuck to my streamers all those years. Good you you!

PS. You're doing pretty good for a young guy

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I just saw this, I think you should post a sbs for that fly, or atleast a materials list, that thing is wonderful
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The fly looks like Mike's Mufasa?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Nice looking fish, I have that same line with my 5wt TCX

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-10-2012, 03:48 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Nice Trout! I always think small meals when trout fishing, but those guys seem to have been hungry.

I don't know about Vermont, but we didn't have winter in PA this year...
Yeah, same in Vermont. We didn't have much for a winter. Most of our "winter" occurred at the end of October. I think that snow storm produced the most amount of snow for the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
The fly looks like Mike's Mufasa?
The streamer pictured, is in fact Mike Schmidt's Mufasa. You guys can easily find a step by step for it. Just do a quick google search. It is a really easy streamer to tie and as you can see it produces. The only thing I did differently from what Mike did was use a 35mm Articulated Shank from Flymen Fishing Co. instead of another hook up front.

- Tyler