The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 06:06 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road
Default a piece i wrote about bamboo vs graphite

hey i had to write a comparasson/ contrast essay for my eng 101 class and decided to do it on bamboo rods vs graphite rods. let me start off with saying i've never casted a bomboo rod and have only casted cheap graphite rods(i have orvis streamline) so dont judge me lol. no but really i just wrote it for fun and i'm pretty confidant that most if not all of the info is wrong. just take it for what it's worth not trying to start a debate.

so here it is
The Old or the New?
In today’s world of high tech gadgets and new age materials one can’t help but look back in the past and notice that our forefathers seemed to do the same tasks as us in a more simple, yet still as effective way. With the invention of modern materials such as graphite many industries changed their ways; fly fishing and more specifically the fly rod production industry in an example of one. To some, the new material graphite allowed the rods to become lighter, stronger, and cheaper to produce, but centuries before graphite was invented many determined anglers spent hours along stream banks casting with a beautiful hand carved bamboo rod. These rods allow the user a better feel while casting, a more intimate relationship with their rod, and a better experience while fighting the fish.
Traditionally bamboo rods have what is known as a full flex action. That is, when casting the rod there is a more-or-less even bending of the rod from tip to grip. This is a result from using bamboo and its natural bending characteristics, and produces a sensation of better control over the rod and line while casting. The full flex action means the rod moves slower in the air giving the angler more time to aim the line, and react to imperfections or shortcomings in his or her cast while the line is still in the air. Resulting in better line placement on the water and less chance to spook the sneaky fish he or she is after. Modern style rods made from graphite have the ability to change their area of flex. This is because graphite can be strengthened and weakened in select places, thus resulting in three main flexing types: full flex, middle flex, and tip flex. The latter two have become the most popular in recent years because the styles allow the base of the rod to have additional strength added to give the rod more “butt” when fighting fish, but they do have their drawbacks. Most notably is the fact that as the flex or action moves up the rod the line speed increases, causing it to be more difficult for the novice or even average fisherman to adapt to fly fishing. It is simply just to hard react to the line at the precise times in order to make the cast fully effective when the line is zooming by your head so fast you can’t see it. Thus, many new fisherman that have decided to convert to fly fishing have become discouraged even distraught over their inability to master even the basic fly cast, and have thrown down their new graphite rods in disgust and walked away from the sport never to return.
Bamboo rods of today are something special, a piece of work that a craftsman labors over for days to perfect. He starts by selecting the perfect piece of bamboo, and then splits the bamboo into six or more commonly eight strands that he trims into the perfect taper for maximum casting efficiency. Next, he hand sands each piece and glues them together. Finally, he attaches the line guides, the hand made cork handle, and signs his name on the rod. All of these factors give the user an intimate relationship with their rod. It is something that was made by hand for them. The same can’t be said for graphite rods. First, the rods are extruded through molds that are generic and are made in batches of hundreds. Next, the rods are sanded and cut to size by big heavy machines. After that, the rod is placed in a rack with thousands other like it and sent off to be painted, to cover up the hideous flat color of graphite. Finally, a machine attaches the line guides and glues the grip onto the rod. The only time a human touches these rods is when their coming out of the packages and being placed onto the store racks. Less care is placed on these rods, is someone breaks the rod he or she can just go down to the local store and replace the broken rod with a new one. It will look the same cast the same and in all aspects except for the physical, it is the same rod.
Finally, bamboo rods do give a better feel for the fish when one is on the line. It may be physical or it may be mental but when fishing with a bamboo rod and you hook up with a fish, it is something no other rod can top. There is a direct natural link between the fisherman and the fish. The whole rod bends, it twitches with the fish, it zips and zaps every which way the fish does. Modern bamboo rods are made of such fine quality they can now handle the big fish that were only once able to be caught on graphite rods and their construction and materials lean them towards producing a better fight. Graphite rods also can produce great fights with fish, but in all but the rarest occasions the rods are produced in a way that they become very stiff towards the handle. This allows the rod to handle bigger fish but it kills the rod. It stops it from acting like the fish; it soaks up some of the tugs and pulls on the line that you would normally feel with a bamboo rod, and while it is still a rewarding experience, they diminish it just slightly.
Bamboo rods experienced their hay day during early America from the mid eighteen hundreds to the mid nineteen hundreds. They were mass produced by an army of hand craftsmen and were just as common as the graphite rod is today. But the invention of graphite and the application of it to the fly rod industry ended that. Graphite was easier to work with, required less skill to make, and was cheaper to produce. They soon replaced the bamboo rods in store shelves, but it may not be so bad. The bamboo rods that survived have become immensely better then their predecessors and are light years beyond any modern graphite rod on the market. They truly are fly fishing
Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: a piece i wrote about bamboo vs graphite

Quote:
Bamboo rods experienced their hay day during early America from the mid eighteen hundreds to the mid nineteen hundreds. They were mass produced by an army of hand craftsmen and were just as common as the graphite rod is today. But the invention of graphite and the application of it to the fly rod industry ended that. Graphite was easier to work with, required less skill to make, and was cheaper to produce. They soon replaced the bamboo rods in store shelves, but it may not be so bad. The bamboo rods that survived have become immensely better then their predecessors and are light years beyond any modern graphite rod on the market. They truly are fly fishing
dont kno why it got small at the end oh well
Old 10-24-2007, 07:01 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Nice article. I fish both bamboo and graphite, although probably 80% bamboo...save the graphite for big water, windy days like on the Snake in Idaho. You captured the essence of both types of rods, especially for boo lovers...not sure the graphite folks will totally agree. You have a knack for writing. Keep up the good work...by the way...did you get an A?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM

a- i have a few mistakes in sentance structure.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjguy07 View Post
a- i have a few mistakes in sentance structure.
LoL... As I was reading I thought to myself... excellent content, great detail, but the flow was a bit "off". I still enjoyed reading it. It was a breath of fresh air from the norm of the posts I submit and read on here. You should have posted it before you handed it in... maybe we could have helped you with the technical structure and flow. For sure you would have gotten an A......
Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfin the Susquehanna View Post
LoL... As I was reading I thought to myself... excellent content, great detail, but the flow was a bit "off". I still enjoyed reading it. It was a breath of fresh air from the norm of the posts I submit and read on here. You should have posted it before you handed it in... maybe we could have helped you with the technical structure and flow. For sure you would have gotten an A......

what did you notice that didnt flow? and thanks for the complments.