The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Never argue with an idiot...

I read a short piece called, What Do You Do When Somenone Crowds You While Fishing? by: Lloyd Tackitt
Lloyd reminds us to not argue with idiots, for they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Hence walking away when getting crowded, or trying to be nice about it. Little did I know that his article, enjoyed over my morning coffee, would be an omen for my afternoon fishing experience.
Fishing Boulder creek in town can be busy, with lots of tourists and transients, and people enjoying themselves. Sharing a hole or having someone clueless stumble through is just part of the game. Having an audience on a nearby bridge is usual. I've let little kids release fish with their parents, had odd conversations with the homeless, and enjoyed some nice views of the local fauna. After trying several patterns over about an hour, I finally caught a decent 12" brown; I had received many close inspections and denials. I also slipped and fell on my butt in the process, but oh well. I kept fishing.
A guy and his girlfriend come by and she sits on the opposite bank. They look like bikers, with black leather, etc. He is armed with a newer looking fly setup, and a stringer around his neck holding a half gallon of OJ(C&R only in town).
He immediately crosses the pourover approaching me and asks for/demands a fly. Says he "lost the one he had."
He's definitely just spooked the hole. Fly fishermen get a bad rap for being snooty... I try to be nice to everyone, so I give him a good local fly. I am about to leave (ie never argue with an idiot) and now his girlfriend is asking me, "Do you have any leader?"
(losing patience, wet, already gave up the hole and a fly) I lied and said "no, I'm just going lightweight with this one box today" and started to walk away. Now dude tells me, "Can I get another fly, the hole is messed up on this fly, I can't get the line in, ya got something more yellow?" I took the original fly back and inspected it noticing a small tag of old knot in the eye. Now completely out of patience with the eager imbecile, I informed him "there is a good fly shop down the street, you should get some of your own gear if what I had to offer was not good enough for you after you guys horked in on my hole."
I walked off after that, no use in arguing with the idiot...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Never argue with an idiot...

Wow...at that point I'm reminded of an episode of "Frasier" titled "Etiquette Lesson". That's my favorite episode of that show; if you've seen it and ignorant imbecile's irk you as much as they do me then you would love this episode also. Here's a link just for fun, it's only a couple minutes long.

Speaking of Idiots, I nearly had to engage in an altercation at Easter service! The minister hadn't said Amen just 4 seconds earlier and this IDIOT was already bumping against my back trying to shove by. After the 4th and strongest; which was an awfully hard bump as it knocked my 260 lbs off balance a little, I decided to stiffen up my elbow and pop him in the sternum... just a bit (he was a good foot shorter then myself so it was a perfect sternum strike). After which he said "excuse me", I just glared and stood right in his way which was far less than he deserved.
fredaevans and tbblom like this.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That had to be weird, not even bikers ask me for flies. I don't know why...............

Click the image to open in full size.
mrfzx, gt05254 and tbblom like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

Im glad I wasnt the only one who was irratated today. I was down on one of the local rock dams in our little river when a group of teenagers come busting in (amongst other things) and setup shop right where my backcast ends up . I thought long and hard about casting anyway and letting fate takeover, but decided against it. I had heard a few wild casts can clear a hole in a hurry, but Im not that lucky. I decided to move to a lake bay nearby and spare myself the headache.
I drove home snarling about those dam (misspelt intentionally) teenagers when I suddenly realized that I unwittingly joined the grumpy adult club. The sad part is, I'm only 35. I cant imagine what Im going to be like in another 30 years. *shudder*

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
That had to be weird, not even bikers ask me for flies. I don't know why...............

Click the image to open in full size.
That is a great picture. HaHaHa It looks how I feel so.....so often. HaHa
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

I go fishing, deep VERY DEEP in the woods, to get away from what you are describing. I see ALL I need in the city with regards to your story!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

If I saw that mug of Ard's I'd just give him all of my flys and leave. Seriously I don't know if it's age or experience but over the years I avoid the rude and clueless that wander our wilderness. There's always another spot cause once they show up yours is useless anyway.
I wasn't always so accommodating and I can write a book on some crazy confrontations I've had.
There is one thing I used to do though I never tried it with a fly rod nor would I due to the expense but I found it to be a crowd clearing system.
In my younger days I worked as a mate on a charter boat and when I was off I'd fish one of the party boats to make pool money . I was always on the boat hours before anyone to get my choice spot at the stern . Well when the trip was under way and I'd start catching fish many times people on the boat would shift in my direction. At times especially when cod fishing or blackfishing when the pools were big I'd have guys try to actually put there rods in over my shoulder.
Easy solution to this. As the guy would push up from behind me on the rail I would set the hook hard on an imaginary fish. Solid glass fiberglass meat stick across the face clears people out quick. Only have to do it once and it's amazing how fast you get your space back. But like I said I've mellowed now and don't want to damage a good flyrod --------nah.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Boz,

Every time my wife sees that picture she growls 'Get off my lawn' just think Gran Torino the movie and you'll get it. Really though, if I look at someone like that they generally leave me alone
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great movie! If the face works use it. I tend to use my 6'4" 270 lb frame to ward off the crazies. Works for me!
Oh and like my nasty neighbor would say when I was a kid"Get off my lawn! I'm keeping your baseball to teach you a lesson"
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

I guess i'm not the bashful type. If i'm fishin in a hole and some goofballs walk up and start to wade through my hole i let em know to not walk in that direction. They dont. If they set down behind me while i'm casting i will give them a very polite warning then i show em what i'm talking about. I will set someone up with a rig and try and teach em what and how to catch fish if i see they need help but never if they horn in and demand a fly. Some peoples kids never had a real lesson. That's where me and Ard come in.
Small Block
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I would have yelled at him for spooking the hole and told him he had a lot of damn gall for asking for a fly after doing that. I would then have offered him a fly anyway, but only on the condition that he promise to stay away from the hole for the next 2 hours to give the fish a chance to rest and you a chance to fish it again, and stay at least 50 yards away from you and any other angler for the rest of the day.
tbblom likes this.