The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about
Default Airline Travel w/ Fly gear question

What are the rules these days? Can i bring my 4 piece in case as carry-on (soft Orvis Safe Passage case)? Can i bring fly boxes w/ flies/hooks etc as carry-on?

I'm headed to FL and want to bring my 7 wt but would rather not check a bag.

Thanks.

Ryan
Old 04-11-2012, 01:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airline Travel w/ Fly gear question

Four piece rod can go on carry on. So can flys and other tackle provided they fit in a carryon size package. When your flys and tackle go through the scanner they will pull them and check them in front of you. Seems Miami and FtLauderdale on return flights don't check as much.
My problem is most of my rods are 2 piece so I generally have to pay the baggage fee. Except on Jet Blue which gives you a freebie. Then my only hassle is finding the rod bazooka when I land. It's never with the other baggage. Sometimes it's at the other end of the airport.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-11-2012, 01:06 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

My experiences.. 4 piece has never been an issue in the states (and I've seen a lot of 2 peice rods on board too - at least arriving here no issues)

Hooks were always prohibited.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 PM

so if i bring flies in my carry-on chances are they will confiscate or make me go back and check my fly boxes?

do NOT want to get stuck in a situation where i have to dump my flies in the trash w/ the 4 oz bottle of sunscreen.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

This is from TSA.. it's a little open to interpretation. Sometimes it depends on who you get asking you.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Fishing Rods / Poles

Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Tackle Equipment

Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a fly confiscated and I fly regularly. They do inspect them quite often but it's not the flys they are concerned about. If you watch the inspectors they are swabbing the boxes for chemicals and gunpowder. I spoke with one inspector who told me fishing equipment is fine as long as ther are no knives or weapons in with the tackle. He also stated that with flys and tackle boxes they show up on the scanner as so many different pieces that they like to check to make sure no contraband is mixed in with the tackle
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Thanks a bunch fellas. They're coming with me.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I travel quite a bit with my stuff and have always put everything in my checked baggage. Part of the reason for this is the inevitability that you are going to have to check some stuff no matter what. An example would be forceps, scissors, and knives - these are all things that we carry with us fishing.

Since all that is requiring a bag to be checked, I might as well keep it all in one place and make room for laptop along with keeping my hands free from having to carry a bunch of stuff.

Sure, you can argue that might get lost if you check it, but in my over 30 flights a year for the past 6 years, I haven't lost a checked bag yet. - knock on wood
Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
in my over 30 flights a year for the past 6 years, I haven't lost a checked bag yet. - knock on wood
It doesn't matter what kind of wood, and how hard you knock, I'm afraid, my friend, that you've just doomed yourself! I'm thinking that the only thing that might help you now, is a back-yard goat sacrifice....
mcnerney likes this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
It doesn't matter what kind of wood, and how hard you knock, I'm afraid, my friend, that you've just doomed yourself! I'm thinking that the only thing that might help you now, is a back-yard goat sacrifice....

I do that annually just for good measure