The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM

pikeyaker is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing from a Kayak

Just wondering how many members on here fly fish from a kayak.

What do you have that is a necessity on there? I have fished from my kayaks for a long time, and fly fished from shore and canoes but I am just in the process of finishing to rig up my sit-on-top kayak for fly fishing.

I have a Scotty fly rod holder to use while trolling and have a set of their Stabilizers coming this week. Other than than I plan to have minimal gear on my boat when I fly fish. I have a 9ft, 8wt, 4 pc Predator coming from Redington that I am hoping to hook some nice pike and walleye with.

Any advice on extra setup for my boat is greatly appreciated. I love to see and hear how other anglers have set up their boats.

www.pikeyaker.wordpress.com
Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing from a Kayak

I've fished from a kayak for 17-18 years and don't use any special gear.
I do have a bungee cord type rod holder that I can use to keep a rod strapped to the side of the boat, but anything else that doesn't fit in my tackle bag, I don't need.

For a tackle bag I use one of these waterproof map cases that I mount on my boat deck

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I fly fish from my kayak all the time. I live by the rule that less is more. Your fly line can and will get caught on anything you have on deck so I try to keep nothing out. The stabilizers are a pretty good idea but I gave mine away because I didnt want to transport and install them all the time. The fish always seemed to swim around them when hooked and caused be more grief than they were worth. If I'm on calm waters i'll stand without them. If the water isn't calm I'll sit on apad so I'm level with the top of the yak and throw my legs over the sides and cast from a seated position.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeyaker View Post
Just wondering how many members on here fly fish from a kayak.

What do you have that is a necessity on there? I have fished from my kayaks for a long time, and fly fished from shore and canoes but I am just in the process of finishing to rig up my sit-on-top kayak for fly fishing.

I have a Scotty fly rod holder to use while trolling and have a set of their Stabilizers coming this week. Other than than I plan to have minimal gear on my boat when I fly fish. I have a 9ft, 8wt, 4 pc Predator coming from Redington that I am hoping to hook some nice pike and walleye with.

Any advice on extra setup for my boat is greatly appreciated. I love to see and hear how other anglers have set up their boats.

In every one of your posts and topics you mention Redington. Are you asking questions or trying Subliminal messaging?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

The business links are gone and I have contacted the thread starter. This topic could be useful as people would comment on their own preferences for set ups. Hopefully any future posts will be more of a discussion about fishing and not appear to be a promotion of any sort.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I've fished from a kayak for about 6 years now and I will agree with others that less is more when it comes to rigging.

My newest rig, a 14.5 Native Ultimate is about as good as I've had. There really isn't much for the fly line to get caught on, and I can stand up in it with ease. Those are, to me, the two most important factors when choosing a kayak to fly fish out of.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM

pikeyaker is on a distinguished road

I mentioned the rod maker here because I have talked to some people that prefer a certain rod over another when kayak fishing. My brother uses 3 different rods depending on where he is fishing from. I see more and more rod makers are starting to cater a little towards kayak fisherman.

I think this is great. My kayak is easier to load and maneuver than a canoe and has way more storage as well.

I have probably 4 different rods in my boat when I am out, from ultra light spin casting to bait casting. But this will be the first year fly fishing from my kayak and unfortunately here in Alberta where I am located I have a way longer drive for good trout than I do for pike... like 1 hour compared to 5 mins..

I got the stabilizers mainly so I could stand on slow moving rivers and fly fish from my kayak.

Here's hoping I can design a rod leash that won't impede my casting... cause I am sure I am gonna take at least one swim!!

www.pikeyaker.wordpress.com
Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know if you figure out a good leash solution because I still don't have one. I don't leash my flyrod currently because I can't cast with a leash. Good thing is I normally fish with a floating line so even if you roll, you should be able to grab your line and keep from loosing your rig.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a leash on my paddle but don't use one for the rod.
I think it originally came off of a surfboard but it's been repaired and redone a number of times since.
Basically it's a stout cord with velcro strap/loop on one end to hold the paddle and the other end has a whipped loop with a carabiner that's clipped to the deck rigging
Old 04-12-2012, 05:04 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

I'm a kayaker, sit-on-top. Need a clean deck, it means that I can't use my depth finder now but on the river it's not that important. I don't really "rig out" my kayak. I have friends that have it all (crates, rod holders, depth finder, etc) but it's just more stuff to carry and lug around. Anything I do need stays behind me or in the front hatch.

I bring two rods with me. I looked for some sort of rod holder but it ended up working to put the reel in a little nook by my side and the rod sticking out the back.

I don't stand in kayaks, even the ones they say you can. I find it easy to cast sitting down. It's the way I learned so I don't know any better. Where I fish there are a lot of low hanging limbs near the bank so the low angle helps.
Since there are low hanging limbs in the best spots I've developed a "kayak cast" where I cast kind of side armed to get under the limbs. If I follow the 10 & 2 rule it'll work though it can get ugly at times. Does anybody else have a special or modified cast they use in the kayak?
zeus87 likes this.