The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Posting Tips (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/2645-posting-tips.html)

Frank Whiton 10-26-2007 12:08 AM

Posting Tips

Hi to All,

Here are a couple of tips to make your forum experience more enjoyable.

When I read a post that asks for information the first thing I do is look at the poster's age and location. I find both of these items useful in preparing my response. The location is really useful and everyone should include it in their profile. You don't have to give your exact location but at least give the general area or state. Your age is not as important but it does help give the responder a clue as to your perspective. For instance, a teenager will look at things differently than someone who is a senior.

When you ask a question about equipment such as a rod or reel. You need to specify what your target fish is and how much you want to spend. There is a broad range of rods and reels and if I recommend something that cost $600 and your budget is $200 I have missed the target complety. We can save some time and get a meaningful answer the first time around if all the information is presented with the question.

I also think signing your post with a first name makes it a much friendly forum but that may just be me. I always try to address a poster by their first name if I know it. When someone uses my first name I always get that old fuzzy feeling that I am talking to a friend.

This is a great forum and I am proud to be a member.

Frank

Fly2Fish 10-26-2007 12:12 AM

Re: Posting Tips

Well said, Frank!

BigCliff 10-26-2007 01:34 PM

Frank,

Thanks, well put. This is one that needs to be "sticky"ed

All,

If you don't want to reveal your location thats fine, just tell us where you'll be fishing. This is because hatches and such vary greatly from place to place, as do tackle needs. Frank's take on giving us an idea of your experience is right on too.

tightlines57 10-27-2007 10:09 AM

Some good points. Another helpful hint, try to give some details. "I need a new rod" will get vastly different responses from "I need a new trout rod" or "I need a new bass rod". With more details in the question you can get more specific responses. :army:

tbrillinger223 11-03-2007 10:16 PM

Like Frank and Cliff stated it does make it easier if a member lists their general location. members from the same location or from a location you will be traveling to can offer up viable information to get you on the fish. and what Tightlines57 stated about asking questions gives members of the forum the oppertunity to give more descriptive answers or opinions.

when replying to a members post a first name or screen name does make getting information a little more personal.

Frank,

you are right about that warm fuzzy feeling you get from a personal reply to a post or just a simple thank you.

Piscator 11-05-2007 11:21 PM

Big C - "sticky"ed it will be!

Another thing that I like to do is pose a question in the form of a Poll. I believe it gives a better visual representation of what you are trying to find out about and it is easier to respond too by selecting options provided. This is depending on the poll of course which you can still provide a comment too as well.

I agree with all the above suggestions as well and the Name thing is a big plus in my book.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry

Quesnel 01-30-2008 12:21 PM

Hello Frank
Just read your post should have done before I sent my first post will correct my ways forthwith.
Regards
Merrill

Frank Whiton 01-30-2008 04:07 PM

Hi Merrill,

Thanks for the response.

Frank

Rankamtr 04-01-2008 11:18 PM

Hi Frank I'm new here and just read this and like Merrill, I agree and will change my ways too. Thanks for the tip.
Dutch

Frank Whiton 04-02-2008 07:51 AM

Hi Dutch,

Thanks for your post.

Frank