The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Posting Tips

Hi to All,

Here are a couple of tips to make your forum experience more enjoyable.

When I read a post that asks for information the first thing I do is look at the poster's age and location. I find both of these items useful in preparing my response. The location is really useful and everyone should include it in their profile. You don't have to give your exact location but at least give the general area or state. Your age is not as important but it does help give the responder a clue as to your perspective. For instance, a teenager will look at things differently than someone who is a senior.

When you ask a question about equipment such as a rod or reel. You need to specify what your target fish is and how much you want to spend. There is a broad range of rods and reels and if I recommend something that cost $600 and your budget is $200 I have missed the target complety. We can save some time and get a meaningful answer the first time around if all the information is presented with the question.

I also think signing your post with a first name makes it a much friendly forum but that may just be me. I always try to address a poster by their first name if I know it. When someone uses my first name I always get that old fuzzy feeling that I am talking to a friend.

This is a great forum and I am proud to be a member.

Frank
peter hanman likes this.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Posting Tips

Well said, Frank!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Posting Tips

Frank,

Thanks, well put. This is one that needs to be "sticky"ed

All,

If you don't want to reveal your location thats fine, just tell us where you'll be fishing. This is because hatches and such vary greatly from place to place, as do tackle needs. Frank's take on giving us an idea of your experience is right on too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:09 AM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Some good points. Another helpful hint, try to give some details. "I need a new rod" will get vastly different responses from "I need a new trout rod" or "I need a new bass rod". With more details in the question you can get more specific responses.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Like Frank and Cliff stated it does make it easier if a member lists their general location. members from the same location or from a location you will be traveling to can offer up viable information to get you on the fish. and what Tightlines57 stated about asking questions gives members of the forum the oppertunity to give more descriptive answers or opinions.

when replying to a members post a first name or screen name does make getting information a little more personal.

Frank,

you are right about that warm fuzzy feeling you get from a personal reply to a post or just a simple thank you.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Big C - "sticky"ed it will be!

Another thing that I like to do is pose a question in the form of a Poll. I believe it gives a better visual representation of what you are trying to find out about and it is easier to respond too by selecting options provided. This is depending on the poll of course which you can still provide a comment too as well.

I agree with all the above suggestions as well and the Name thing is a big plus in my book.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Quesnel is on a distinguished road

Hello Frank
Just read your post should have done before I sent my first post will correct my ways forthwith.
Regards
Merrill
Old 01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Merrill,

Thanks for the response.

Frank
Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 PM

Rankamtr is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank I'm new here and just read this and like Merrill, I agree and will change my ways too. Thanks for the tip.
Dutch
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Hi Dutch,

Thanks for your post.

Frank