The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any opinions - fishing vest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but you might want to take a look at the William Joseph Fusion Vest; I've seen it on sale lately, which brings it down from its $150+- list price. To my way of thinking, it blows away any other vest in it's innovations, recognized in it's being awarded the Best New Product a couple of years ago

I have one of these vests. It's ok. I wouldn't say it's tons better than others out there. It's biggest innovation is that it has attachment points for a hydration bladder. I find some of the other features on the vest annoying, particularly the low placement of the nipper/hemostat retractors and the fly box pockets are a bit stiff an bulky.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
I have one of these vests. It's ok. I wouldn't say it's tons better than others out there. It's biggest innovation is that it has attachment points for a hydration bladder. I find some of the other features on the vest annoying, particularly the low placement of the nipper/hemostat retractors and the fly box pockets are a bit stiff an bulky.
I'd add that the hydration bladder is a mixed blessing if you use the 100 oz. version, full. All that weight in the back pulls the front of the vest way up. Of course, 100 oz. of water is a lot for a day on the stream. The 35 oz. model works much better.

Actually, I like the location of the built-in zingers because of their proximity to the built-in tool holsters. It would be nice to have some higher up also for knot tools & nippers instead of having to use add-on magnetic Stonefly Limpits to attach them there. What I don't understand is the use for the built-in attachment points way down along the bottom edge of the vest. WJ does a terrible job in explaining their various features.

The formed flybox pockets are stiff, but for my way of thinking that helps keep the flyboxes in place while working with them in open pocket state. And I really like the fold-down workstation, although I'd like to see that as one of the lower pockets than up high where it is now.

I'd be interested in what vests you like better.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:52 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I'd add that the hydration bladder is a mixed blessing if you use the 100 oz. version, full. All that weight in the back pulls the front of the vest way up. Of course, 100 oz. of water is a lot for a day on the stream. The 35 oz. model works much better.

Actually, I like the location of the built-in zingers because of their proximity to the built-in tool holsters. It would be nice to have some higher up also for knot tools & nippers instead of having to use add-on magnetic Stonefly Limpits to attach them there. What I don't understand is the use for the built-in attachment points way down along the bottom edge of the vest. WJ does a terrible job in explaining their various features.

The formed flybox pockets are stiff, but for my way of thinking that helps keep the flyboxes in place while working with them in open pocket state. And I really like the fold-down workstation, although I'd like to see that as one of the lower pockets than up high where it is now.

I'd be interested in what vests you like better.
I've also encountered the problem of the weight of the bladder pulling the vest up in the front. This can be aleviated somewhat by using a smaller bladder. Also, I sewed some velcro onto the front of the vest, allowing me to tighten the vest up a bit across the sternum, which prevents some of the riding up.

I have two current favorite vests. For long days, carrying all my stuff (and a bladder and lunch etc.) I really love the LL Bean Rapid River Vest Pack. The pockets are easy to access. The belt works supports the pack and lower back, and makes carrying a bunch of stuff in the pack easy. This pack rocks.

Rapid River Vest Pack: Fishing Vests at L.L.Bean

For roadside fishing, and short trips where I'm not carrying too much stuff, I have a lightweight, simple Hodgman vest that works well.

Hodgman - Outerwear - Wadelite® Convertible Wading Vest - Waders, boots, and outdoor gear