The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 06:31 PM

LLL is on a distinguished road
Default Any opinions - fishing vest

Hello,

I am in the market for a new fishing vest - I quite like the Mustang MIV 10 - has anyone had any experience with this particular vest good or bad. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

LLL
Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Any opinions - fishing vest

Hi LLL,

I have not used one of these vest. I don't know where you are fishing where you might need a vest like this but I think it will be hot. I use an inflatable life vest here in Florida and it is hot during the summer. The vest appearers to have Velcro flaps and I don't like that feature on a vest. The Velcro tends to collect lint and other debris. A Velcro flap can make a lot of noise if you rip it open in a nice quite spot. I don't think it would scare the fish but it would bother me in a nice serene spot.

Frank

Mustang MIV 10 Inflatable Vest
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:22 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I don't know what your budget is, but you might want to take a look at the William Joseph Fusion Vest; I've seen it on sale lately, which brings it down from its $150+- list price. To my way of thinking, it blows away any other vest in it's innovations, recognized in it's being awarded the Best New Product a couple of years ago
Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

I have a White River Classic vest, its made of a microfiber shell that dries fast. In addition, its gray. It has padded shoulders with convenient pockets. I hook my net to the loop on the lower right, and all my tools in the d-rings in the middle. I got it on sale for 30$-40$, I don't remember exactly.
White River Fly Shop Classic Fly Vest - Fly Fishing Apparel
Old 10-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi To All,

Just to clarify, the Mustang MIV 10 is an inflatable vest.

Frank
Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 AM

Thanks to all who replied so far - checked out the suggestions (nice vests by the way) but as Frank points out the Mustang MIV 10 is an inflatable. I was tending to err towards the inflatable due to some of the rivers I fish like the Humber in Newfoundland, Canada. Although I am quite a good swimmer I have seen it rise quite fast and almost been taken off my feet a few times. The Humber here by the way as some of you may know has a bit of a reputation that if you jump in it, or crash into it your not likely to be found
Old 10-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

LLL,

Have you considered one of the belt inflatables? They are not as hot to wear and they allow the use of a short vest or chest pack.

Frank
Old 10-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Any opinions - fishing vest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
LLL,

Have you considered one of the belt inflatables? They are not as hot to wear and they allow the use of a short vest or chest pack.

Frank
I just got back from a week flyfishing the San Juan/NM, using for the first time my Sospenders belt-stored inflatable vest. It stores very compactly and is permanently attached to a belt which will also do double duty as a wader belt. Other accessories - in my case Lippa4Life trout grip holster and wading staff holster - can also be easily attached. While I never needed to inflate it (via either its CO2 cartridge or manually), it was nice to have the security of having it just in case it was needed. Plus, its light weight and low profile kept it out of the way while wading, and it didn't interfere at all with the use of my large capacity fishing vest (William Joseph Fusion Vest), over which the inflated vest fits nicely when I tested it through manual inflation.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Decisions decisions...some good ideas here - didnt think of the inflatable belt nor the Type III - currently looking into these.

Thanks

LLL
Old 10-29-2007, 10:07 AM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road

I've gone through a Filson vest that lasted almost 7 years. Got another one and really like it. There are so many on the market today. I saw an inflatable vest on a British site, but it was tremendously expensive. It was self activating. Years ago I bought my daughter an inflatable from Orvis, not sure if they still make them. If the stream is a little hairy I use the belt PFD. Frank