The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Weed wading?

Last summer I got to try one of the famous Pennsylvania limestone creeks. The access to this stream was sort of boggy and I was sinking into the weeds up to my knees. I didn't want to get stuck so I tried another area. The weeds were such that even if I hooked a trout I would never have been able to land it- there was still about twenty feet between me and open water.
Snowshoes? I was wondering if there were any tricks to wading in thick weeds?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Weed wading?

I used to fish in the Letort Spring. When I began to go there it was much different than it is now, most noticeably there was a lot more water. The weed beds were just a place where you did not go. It took a long time to learn where and how to catch the fish but those bruisers that stayed in the weeds were generally off limits for me. When you do hook up to a fish, keeping it up topside and not allowing it to burrow into the cress was a whole other talent that needed to be acquired.

But no, I don't know of a good way to deal with silt bottoms and thick vegetation other than to stay out of it. My best results were had fishing from the shoreline, usually from a kneeling position.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

We have the same problems on many of our streams in SE MN, SW Wisc. The only tips I can give you is to wade as little as possible. There really is no way that I've ever seen of keeping yourself from sinking in the silt. I stay out of it anyways since it has a tendency to muck up the hole and put the fish down.

As far as fishing the weeds... it's tough. If I know I'm fishing a stream with thick in-stream vegetation I'll generally bring a bit heavier wt rod to give me the ability to turn the fish more and keep them above and out of the weeds. Over time, you'll develop your own little tricks though.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

They use these out on the clam flats
I'm not sure it's a good idea to to go tromping through the (bug factory) weeds with them on though

Mudderboot.com
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I duck hunt WMAs that are mostly silt catch ponds for ag run off. A lot of these are 3' of water over 8 inches of very sticky silt. The longer you stand the deeper you go. Muck in one spot tore the sole off one of my wading shoes. I tried Muckboots under the water and they didn't work: it was just more weight to try to pull out of the goo. I still have a pair and I'm waiting to try them in other muddy sites.
Sometimes, I'll use a float tube without flippers in these ponds and push myself around without putting weight on my feet so I don't get stuck-easier for chasing cripples and setting dekes.
You could try the tube thing over weeds, I guess, but be careful using a tube without fins on moving water or large bodies of water- very little control and you're at the mercy of the wind if you cant touch bottom.
For weeds, as above, stiff rod and fast retrieves. Also, be judicious in your tippet selection so you don't get hold of something you can't let go of.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey