The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Fly Size to Tippet Size

I'm sure there is a chart or something on this here on the site.

Last night I wanted to see how small of a fly I could tie. I bought a kit when I started tying and it has some tiny hooks. Being a river basser I use pretty big hooks.

Click the image to open in full size.
Size 16 hook.

What size leader and tippet would I use for such a small hook?
Could I throw this with a 5 wt.?

BTW - my normal setup is a 12# leader with a 12# fluoro tippet.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly Size to Tippet Size

Sorry - had to laugh.. when I saw #16 and 'small'

16's probably my most common size.. I'll use them commonly on 4x and 5x

with exceptions going both ways
Old 04-13-2012, 03:16 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Sorry - had to laugh.. when I saw #16 and 'small'

16's probably my most common size.. I'll use them commonly on 4x and 5x

with exceptions going both ways

I forgot that is probably the average size for some people.
Mine are size 4 to 1/0.

I have to respect ya'lls tying ability. I found it tricky.

Thanks
- David
Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I hear ya.. I have hooks down to 28.. but rarely tie smaller than 24s - and I try to avoid those. That's when my magnifier and light really help.. and every year they get tougher and tougher

I have a separate fly box for my midge patterns.. I call it my LBB box (Little Bitty B#####ds)
Old 04-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a slow typer-- while I was banging away Dave beat me to it, but here it is better late than never..

Hey Riverbilly looks like you're having fun tying.

Sure you're 5 weight would be great for perfect for throwing a size 16--

Generally a 5 weight will easily throw flies size 6 or 8 down to as small as they make 'em, size 32. You can throw larger stuff too, but large wind resistant flies and poppers and/or big heavily weighted stuff would usually be easier to throw with a heavier weight fly rod.

A 5x tippet would be about right for the size 16 fly-- Generally I use a knotless tapered monofilament leader about as long as my rod (9' long) and add a short (about 2') section of tippet to the end of the leader-- that way you can change flies without chopping up your tapered leader too much.

Here's a link to some info and a chart from our Fly Fishing Gear FAQ forum that might help: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-do-i-use.html

There area couple different guidelines you can use to match fly size with tippet size-- the one that's easiest to remeber is hook size divided by 3 = tippet size--- so for a fly on a size 12 hook, size 12 / 3 = 4X tippet.

for your size 16, divided by 3 = 5X (since 5 is the closest to 5.333333)

That said, if all you have is 4x or 6x that doesn't mean you have to pack up and go home-- these are just guidelines

Last edited by peregrines; 04-17-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link
Old 04-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Hey Riverbilly looks like you're having fun tying.
I really am. And the best part is they catch fish.

Thanks for the information, I might get a chance to try it this weekend.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 PM

blueline is on a distinguished road

Riverbilly use 4x or 5x and tye the 16 behind your larger streamer. I like flashback phesant tails and hairs ears, but just about anything 8" to 12" behind will do.

have fun
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I am with Peregrines, I divide the hook by 3 or 4 depending upon size of fish and clarity of the water.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Tried the link above to no avail but here's one. I first saw this in a brochure from Cortland and soon after or before Orvis so the credit is to them I suppose: Tippet To Fly-Size Chart - Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Information Resource Above that and hte divide rule above, keep in mind that when you use a bead head, a weighted fly or one that is aerodynamically hindered such as a Gurgler, or a Goddard caddis, the size should be adjusted a tad.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/