The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wading in Marshy Water?

I have read stories of people who have gotten stuck in the mud in the Turnagin Arm of Cook Inlet. There have been people and boats there to help in some cases, but none could get the person unstuck. The tide came in and you can guess the rest. Just glad I didn't have to be the one holding the victims hand!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:24 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

My wife and I are part of our local Search and Rescue team and a lot of searches happen in the marshy bogs and we don't wear waders. I have gotten stuck a few times under a root of a tree or in a floating bush that looked solid at first. Keep in mind we don't have any poisonous snakes in our area but we do have big moose and bears which at night when you hear something tromping through the woods behind you it is very freaky.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Well, in any event a lot of us have experienced the same thing. Many years ago, while duck hunting, I had on waders and hopped out of a boat to put out some decoys. I went up to my knees in muck and absolutely could not move. Fortunately there was another person in the boat- he sat on the opposite gunwale and I pulled myself out of the waders and into the boat and then used a paddle to dig the boots of the waders out of the muck. Last year- on a well known limestone in PA I was using logs burried in weeds to support myself and did okay but later that night I realized if I had accidentally slipped off a log I would have gone into the weeds and been trapped- MAYBE a good reason to wear loosely fitted booted-waders rather than socking foot waders with shoes. You can hopefully get out of the waders with boots.
I think in England- on the chalk streams- you have to cast from shore. I thought that was so as to not spook the trout but maybe it is to save the angler from getting stuck in the weeds.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 AM

clifton50 is on a distinguished road

That is really an adventure, i like such weird work particularly that which you make. Really love your post. Keep it up buddy...

Last edited by clifton50; 02-09-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

The rivers here in VA are loaded with various creatures,...big and small (alive and dead); muskrats, otters, snakes, all kind of bugs, etc.
There are some parts of the river systems that could be 'marsh-like' but only when the river is low.
Most of the time 'they' all avoid you and are seen moving in the opposite direction...of course sometimes they panic and move towards YOU...

I usually end up 'smacking' the snakes with my fly rod or my wading stick.
For the most part they turn and move off. If a snake is going to bite you waders won't help much...and yes snakes can bite underwater!

I only had one bad issue because of a 'fresh' dead cow I found floating in the river, while wet-wading. It only became an issue on the way back ...down-stream... I ended up punching a hole in my leg on a rock. Of course it got infected (10 days on anitbiotic and it was gone) I never had that occur while wet wading so can only assume it was from the dead cow.

There is always the 'creep' factor when wet-wading in 'marshy-still-water.'
Of course when your fly gets slammed it goes away fast!

larry
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Personally, I wouldn't be whacking a snake with my fly rod. Did it once, and the thing didn't exactly take fear to my actions. As far as wading marshy areas alone...nope. Biggest thing I encountered on being stuck, only once alone, self induced panic. Even in wading, if I cant see bottom..aint happenin!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I go float tubing a lot in the Charles River in MA which is SUPER merky. I love float tubing but when I see long strands of river plants under my feet or accidentally float into a lily pad patch it scares the s@#^ out of me. Plus I know there are huge snapping turtles there (talking 100+ lbs). Occasionally my flipper will also hit a underwater branch (or mostly just my net handle) and its very creepy and scary. All this aside, I have never actually come into any danger from wildlife and the snappers are probably scares s*#%&less of me.

Fishing can be scary business sometime, but the important thing to remember is that you will almost always be the bigger and unknown animal to any other species you see. If you were beaver and you saw 6 foot tall animal coming towards you, wouldn't you book it? Not that any of this helps of course, I still flip out when I float into a serene patch of beautiful lily pads.....
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not worry about snakes where you are. In fact I don't worry about snakes anywhere, but then that's just me. When I lived in So. California I used to catch Rattle Snakes that wandered into bad places or places where we weretaking over their territory and move them to a safer spot. By safer, I mean for them. Most snake bites are the result of asking for it. In fact we are harder on them than the other way around. I got a Red Diamondback in a water cooler bottle from a trash man that was starved nearly to death. I hand fed the poor thing till I could let it go. I named him Poison Pete.

If you are on the West side of the Cascades then you really have nothing at all to worry about. You only have two subspecies of the Western Rattlesnake there and they are rare West of the Cascade Mountain range.

Leave snakes alone and they will return the favor. Something like 90% of bite victims are male and the vast majority of them admit to have been 'playing' with the snake.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Getting back to the muck. I have heard that a pair of plastic snowshoes will keep one from getting stuck and/or sinking deep. Can't help you with the scary stuff though
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Getting back to the muck. I have heard that a pair of plastic snowshoes will keep one from getting stuck and/or sinking deep. Can't help you with the scary stuff though
Either that or you feet will still sink in but now they will impossible to pull out....