The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 12:44 AM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough
Default Wading in Marshy Water?

I discovered a new small stream with some marshes and I waded it in the visible spots in shorts and shoes. I did not want to wander into the grassy unknown areas where I could fish some better water. There were rainbow, mallard, a beaver, and many chironomids sharing the water, so I know there is much more living beneath the water surface. I am just worried about snakes and a man eating beaver biting off my leg; just some sub conscious thoughts. I am looking for some confidence so I can fish without worry. Are waders snake proof? Any of you guy wade in marshes? Any tips would be great.

Last edited by iciclecreek; 04-17-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading in Marshy Water?

One of my favorite places lately is a stream through an long, old beaver meadow. There's still a few old dams so not all of the meadow is accessible but what is is all grass hummocks and muck. It takes a good bit time to work your way in there but once in, the stream bed is mostly solid.
I like it because as far as I can tell, no one else fishes there. At least I've never seen any one or any tracks.
What I don't like is the "creep" factor (there's no one to hear you scream )
The worst that's ever happened though is one time I backed into an unseen Canada goose nest on one of the hummocks and got bit on the ass
mcnerney, jpbfly, mrfzx and 6 others like this.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I've lived in the West, East, and South. Right now I am in Florida- snake capital of the world- gator capital too and I wade all the time- fishing, duck hunting, turkey hunting when you have to wade into high ground. And- a lot of it at night. When I lived up north I waded wet in a river full of beaver who who swam by checking me out. Always enjoyed that. A couple of years ago on the Willowemoc there were two beaver swimming around at hazel Bridge Pool. Never say never but I would say in mosr cases you have nothing to worry about. The biggest danger in wading is going over your head and drowning. Or slipping on a mossy rock and breaking an arm. I don't wade anything where there is deep water or a drop off and I carry a wading staff on the swallow rocky stuff (I usually make an annual prilgramage north for trout).
Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rip for bringing back bad memory's and making me laugh at the same time. Never got bit in the ass by any geese but got chased plenty of times. And the "creep" factor is on the money. One of my regular haunts used to be a tidal river called the Nissequogue . Great fishing for stripers as well as sea run brown trout at certain times of year.
Best access to the hot spots on this river was across mud flats on the falling tide .
In those days my waders of choice were Red Balls which were the old heavy rubber waders. Working my way across one of these flats I suddenly sunk in up to my waist. As I struggled to free myself I dropped in even deeper. At this point I realized that I had fallen into a muskrat hole and I was up to my chest!
No problem I'm young and tough I'm getting out I'll just claw and pull and I'll be free. NOT HAPPENING! Could not get out of that hole! And to make matters worse the bugs were feasting on me and the tide was coming in!
Talk about "creep" factor even though this section was in a town park it was a weekday and yell as much as I could and no response.
After being there for hours exhausted , hot , bug bitten and getting wet from the incoming tide I finally figured it out.
Undid my suspenders and wafer belt and pulled myself right out of those Red Balls. Crawled back to the park just in time for the lady walking her dog to ask me where my shoes were. Where was she when I needed her . Haha.
Hope the muskrat enjoyed the new rubber addition to his den.
Never felt so good to sit in the car!
Rip Tide likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

... I've gotten stuck in the mud a couple times...
Once while digging clams in Maine I had to crawl out of my hip boots. I then turned around to pull them out
All that mud is supposed to be good for the skin
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Haha! Not that good for the rest of me!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

Very interesting stories. Getting stuck for hours, thats crazy! I just fished the stream today. Looks like this is my fishing stream till the first saturday in June when the rest open. There is definitely a creep factor, but it is fun to fish something other than freestone and lakes.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

There is a pair of sneakers buried about 3 feet deep in the muck at Long Key waiting for future anthropologists to figure out where the foot bones are.

Quote:
There's still a few old dams so not all of the meadow is accessible but what is is all grass hummocks and muck. It takes a good bit time to work your way in there........
I like it because as far as I can tell, no one else fishes there.
I used to fish a remote spot like that in Maine right off the river, but it took a lot of patience because the muck would tremble with every step and scare the trout off. No hopping from hummock to hummock. A very slow approach and casting from a good distance away from the "bank" was essential. But the sluiceways were very deep and contained big brookies.

Cheers,
jim
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Last year I had more run-ins with water snakes than any previous year. I dont mind them but im not about to chase one down to pick it up either. Just scares the day lights out of me when im walking acrossed a stream and one shoots out of no where haha.

Here is a small milksnake making a meal of a small brookie...
Click the image to open in full size.
biggie_robs likes this.

- Tyler

Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I love to wet wade in the hot summer. Where I live here in South Central PA, Copperheads and Timber rattlers can be encountered, but the real threat are the Deer Ticks! We had quite the epidemic of Lyme Disease last summer, not just with people, but with our dogs too.

In another direction, I've never seen anything hold you tighter than the glacier silt in AK. I understand that the Anchorage fire company practices techniques to free silt stuck Razor Clam fishermen from Cook Inlet.

Down in Louisiana, I stepped into some "fluffer mud". Went in up to my chest....whoooo boy. I was up to my knipples (in water, the mud was crotch high) and still sinking when my buddy threw me a rope. I was seriously wondering if i could grow gills!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.