The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   whirling desiese and felt soled boots. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/2664-whirling-desiese-felt-soled-boots.html)

xjguy07 10-29-2007 06:04 PM

whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

Maryland's Inland Fisheries Home Page

found this tidbit while serching around the dnr site looking for the trout stocking news. apparently felt soled boots are a no-no. good thing mine were only 40 bucks and i fish the same river in them.

alanthealan 10-29-2007 06:16 PM

Re: whirling desiese and felt soled boots.

They double our licensing fee and tell us to by new boots!?....:(

GeorgeMcFly 10-29-2007 09:22 PM

seems like anything you do kills the enviroment. hell if I step on the grass I kill it too along with ants and bugs! we r bad bad men!

BigCliff 10-30-2007 08:39 AM

I was going to say that it isn't all that widespread yet, but looks like that was outdated info:

Quote:

2. Where is whirling disease found?
Whirling disease is found in 22 states including: Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming; and in several European countries, in South Africa, and in New Zealand.
from Whirling Disease Foundation Homepage

GeorgeMcFly 10-30-2007 08:46 AM

told ya we were bad men. we spread it all over.... actually you guys did! I use lug boots :wink:

alanthealan 10-30-2007 10:23 AM

The info is not dated; the research is cited Gates (2007). This is a new problem for Maryland. The news broke this season, and the contamination of the North Branch of the Potomac is due to poor hatchery management. The North Branch is one of our finest rivers, which many record fish have been taken. Nearby the rest of our trophy waters (Savage, Cassleman, etc) so far haven't been contaminated, but for how much longer?

alanthealan 10-30-2007 10:38 AM

I need to clarify myself.

Felt soled shoe study cited 2007
Maryland's Inland Fisheries Home Page

Discovered in the NB 1995
Trout Production At Two State Rearing Facilities Impacted By Parasite Discovery

Hatchery managers scandal
Cumberland Times-News - Trout disease threatens Md. fish
and
Trout Production At Two State Rearing Facilities Impacted By Parasite Discovery

alanthealan 10-30-2007 10:53 AM

And another about the NB
Local Chapters | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

BigCliff 10-30-2007 12:29 PM

Jeebus guys, what I meant was my impression that WD wasn't all that widespread yet was based on outdated info. What I posted reflects the current situation.

Oh and lugged boots are great, until you float your hat and put all the critters from inside your mouth and nose into the river and vice versa. (teehee)

On a serious note, I think the new boots out that are a combo of super sticky rubber and studs are likely a good way to go.

Fishplease 10-30-2007 01:35 PM

I was lucky enough to get my license before the price doubled.(Which is a real kick in the behind)
I don't have to worry about spreading whirling disease, as I don't use waders.