The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 12:22 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Make Your Own Leader

I am freshwater. where do you get flouro carbon? the places I went seems to just have regular mono line? maybe I just didn't look hard enough? what brands carry flouro carbon and how much does that run for a spool?? basically what I wanna know is this cheaper than buying regular 4 dollar leaders??

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:36 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hi George
I think i paid 7.99 for 25 yd spools of flouro and 1.99 for hard mono at one of the big online stores. I fish along the mid atlantic coast and the water just doesn't get that clear i use more mono than flouro sometimes i just use flouro tippet and mono butt section to cut cost plus flouro seems very abrasion resiatant
Jim
Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

ok I think I got this leader tying thing down. I was just looking at maxima clear leader/tippet material. ok so say I wanted to make some 3x leaders. do I just buy the maxima clear but in the diameters for the formulas intended>? then just blood knot them together in the right lengths according to the formula? ? or do you need flouro carbon? or can you use just mono? sorry for the noob questions. I just wanna make sure I buy the right kinds of line and not waste my money. another thing thats weird to me tho is it seems the formulas call for like 6 different diameters for a 9 foot leader? so you got to have like 6 blood knots in your leader??? seems like alot? i figured you would have about 3 or so?

Old 11-03-2007, 11:22 PM

I should just get a kit.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:19 AM

found a cheaper umpqua leader making kit online for 41 bux shipped. comes with 14 spools of every diameter to make any leaders plus formulas and instuctions. pretty cool, should go great with the new blood knot tool I got.. I figure if you can make 25 leaders out of it or so and leaders are about 3.75 or 4 bux then you make out pretty good! less than half the price. then all ya gotta do is get more of the ones you use more of and you can make even more. seems some stuff only calls for 6 inches or so of certain tippets. some for 28 or 36 inches. just resupply and you r good to go! well let ya know how I do! man this fly fishing is sucking the green out of my wallet! glad I don't spend my money on much of anything else! guess it all lasts in the end

Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Any time I tie up leaders, I figure 4 different thicknesses is adequate. Roughly 3-4' of butt, 12-18" of 10 lbs lighter, 12-18" of 5-10 lbs lighter, and 3-4' of tippet. 30lb, 20lb, 12-15lb, and 8lb is a pretty versatile recipe.

Fancy, huh?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

When tying mono to flouro I've not found the best knot is the Orvis knot.
It's somewhere the Orvis site.

Randy Kadish
Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Regarding knots on homemade leaders: blood knots come out very straight, but I generally don't think they're worth the time it takes to tie them. A Double Surgeon's knot is almost as strong as a blood knot, and when you're tying the thicker sections together for a leader that will end in 3x or so, there's really no need to fuss over a 95%+ strength knot.

I find a double surgeon's knot to be plenty strong for those thicker connections, and a blood knot only adds about 3% strength for the knot that ties the tippet on, when tied perfectly.

However, if you can tie a Blood Knot as fast as a Double Surgeon's, feel free to stick with that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Make Your Own Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
A Double Surgeon's knot is almost as strong as a blood knot . . . I find a double surgeon's knot to be plenty strong for those thicker connections, and a blood knot only adds about 3% strength for the knot that ties the tippet on, when tied perfectly.
BigCliff, some of the knot-tying websites say that the Double Surgeon's Knot is stronger than a Blood (or Barrel) Knot. Of course, the methodology in testing knots can vary, with results that then vary also. Is it your personal experience with both that leads you to the conclusion that Blood Knots are slightly stronger, because that practical experience would count for more with me.

Also, do you have any experience with a Triple Surgeon's Knot? It wouldn't be much more effort to add another loop-around to a Double Surgeon's Knot if it increased its holding power.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I am traveling and have gotten behind on some of these post. Here are my thoughts.

For a fresh water light leader I prefer the blood knot. There is not much difference between the blood and double surgon knot in strength. The blood knot needs to be tied correctly to be as strrong as the sugon knot. The surgon knot is a bit more bulky and the leaders don't lay out quite as straight. If I was gong to all of the trouble to tie my own leader, I would use a blood knot. The best way to tie a flouro tippet to a mono leader is a loop to loop connection. You can also use a uni to uni connection. With a uni knot in flouro you need to use a few more wraps. That is, if you use 5 wrapes in mono you will need to use 8 or 9 wraps with the flouro.

For salmon I like to use a salmon tapered line of 4' or 5' and add the tippet using a uni to uni knot or a triple surgon. The triple surgon is less likley to slip than a double surgon knot.

Frank